Like Tree2Likes

Potential Dog Owner

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Potential Dog Owner

I'm seriously considering adopting a dog, and wanted to get some advise from other expats out here in HK to make sure I make the most responsible decision.

I work a 9-7ish job and travel for work, so if you live a similar life style and have a pup - help!

Dog walkers? What is their average hourly rate and how trustworthy are they?

Kennels? I'm in NYC 5 times a year and though I could probably leverage friends for puppy sitting, I'd like to have a kennel for extended trips and as a backup option.

Dog parks? Dog friendly parks? I live in Mid-Levels so preferably around here. Also, I'm looking at adopting a golden, so if anyone knows of any dog friendly beaches where he could swim that would be wonderful.

Trainers? I would prefer to have a private dog trainer as opposed to 'obedience' classes.

Vet referrals? This is important - this isn't my first time being a dog owner and I've come across some very disappointing dog doctors in the past.

Puppy play dates?

Thanks!

I live a similar lifestyle and I don't have a dog - although I would like one (or a cat). I don't have one because I don't think it's fair on the animal to be either shut up for hours at a time, or regularly dumped in kennels, or fobbed off to a walker or helper ... WHEN I finally get my dog (or cat) I'm going to want to spend time with it and develop a proper bond.

for kennels, out of the ones i know of:

Pet World and Ferndale seem to be the best

if you don't want a kennel, you can try us or others like us:

Home

for the rest:
    I work a 9-7ish job and travel for work, so if you live a similar life style and have a pup - help!
    puppies are A LOT of work and unless you want to come home to wee and poop in the house, you will need someone to walk a puppy about 4-5 times during your work day.

Dog walkers? What is their average hourly rate and how trustworthy are they? there are helpers out there that do this on a part-time basis, but keep in mind it is illegal. you might be better off hiring a full-time, live in helper to help you care/train your puppy

Kennels? I'm in NYC 5 times a year and though I could probably leverage friends for puppy sitting, I'd like to have a kennel for extended trips and as a backup option.
    mentioned above

Dog parks? Dog friendly parks? I live in Mid-Levels so preferably around here. Also, I'm looking at adopting a golden, so if anyone knows of any dog friendly beaches where he could swim that would be wonderful. there is a dog park in wanchai. there are also area that you can walk your dog. bowen road & the peak come to mind. BEWARE: there has been someone poisoning food and leaving it out for dogs for the past 20 years. they seem to be most active on bowen road.

Trainers? I would prefer to have a private dog trainer as opposed to 'obedience' classes.

trainers are good, but ONLY if you are open to training as well. often times, we find that the owners are the ones in need of training.

Vet referrals? This is important - this isn't my first time being a dog owner and I've come across some very disappointing dog doctors in the past. Dr David at Creature Comforts is awesome. he really cares about the animals and he makes house-calls, too!

Puppy play dates? i'm sure if you post something, you'll find others wanting to get their dogs together.

Your best bet is a full time helper, does not have to live in, but for the price is the best value out there.

As carang says a puppy is a huge amount of work and even if caged needs to be let out every few hours. Never underestimate how destructive they can be as well.

When you travel a FTH can stay in your home and walk/look after your dog, no need for kennels, and kinder to the dog.

The Wan Chai dog park has closed, but you can walk a dog safely off the lead towards the battlements, north mid levels.Google Earth for exact location, off Conduit Rd.

There is nice beach north of the main Sai Kung area, no English name that I know off, but easily seen on Google Earth, that is very dog friendly and good for swimming. Also has an excelant dim sum resteraunt there.

Vets-have heard good things about Creature Comforts as well,and when I was in the area I used Kylie at The Ark who is no nonsense professional and they have 24 hour service.

Do you have enough space in your flat for a fully grown golden? as you know they are big dogs with huge exercise requirements, can you give the dog that amount of care, or would a smaller breed be more suitable for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    you can walk a dog safely off the lead towards the battlements, north mid levels.Google Earth for exact location, off Conduit Rd.
    I think you mean south, not north.

Quote Originally Posted by HankSally:

Way too long to leave a dog alone, especially in an apartment. Even with a dog walker this is a stretch. I work similar hours and tried taking care of our dogs myself (including an hour long walk every morning before work) for a while when we just moved out here. It didnt work and we have had a live in helper for years. Reliable dog walkers are also quite difficult to find. Using someone elses helper is not a reliable (or legal) solution in many cases - often they either get tied up doing work for their primary employer or just talk on the phone while out with the dog rather than giving it a proper walk (not always the case, of course, but definitely an issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Your best bet is a full time helper, does not have to live in, but for the price is the best value out there.
    legally, a full time FOREIGN domestic helper must live in.

Volunteer at some of the great dog and cat rescue groups...LAP , Kirsten Zoo's Hong Kong Dog Rescue.....they always need help walking dogs...or helping out at their rehoming days etc...its a great option and you get your doggy fix.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    legally, a full time FOREIGN domestic helper must live in.
    To be pedantic - if she is holding an FDH visa. A foreigner legally resident here as a PR or Dependant could legally work as a full time domestic helper and live out.

very pedantic, but yes, you are correct and that is what i meant of course.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast