Export Dog to Spain

Closed Thread

Export Dog to Spain

I'm going to move to the EU in one month and have already been sure that my dog has had a rabies vaccine and updated injections. My vet seems completely confused about the paperwork and suggests I use a pet export company. I've looked into them and they seem to charge a lot of money for things that I have the time to do. I have the papers for the EU and understand that I need to have the local papers done by a local vet. However, my vet doesn't have the papers. Any suggestions and has anyone else done this before?

why not talk to Dr David at Creature Comforts, he comes to our place regularly when he is working with a pet exporting company to relocate dogs in our care.

Sorry, I can't help you with Spain, we've never had any of our dogs go there.

George @ International Pet Travel is FANTASTIC, though, so you may want to give him a call.

I second George, many years ago he helped me export my cats to Tenerife (under Spanish law) and did an excellent job.

As there are no direct flights to Spain any way, I would suggest getting your dog to the UK first. I know of a company which will drive your dog overland (no air travel stress) to Spain from the UK which takes about 24-48 hours depending were in Spain you are (my parents' dog did the trip as a puppy). PM me if you want to know more.

For more info on getting your dog to the UK look here.

Defra, UK - Wildlife and pets - Pets and horses - Travelling with pets

The UK route won't work as you need at least 6 months to prepare the dog to go to UK, even just to transit.

It's worth considering using one of the professional relocators as they should know what they are doing and avoid expensive mistakes. Word of mouth recommendations are best.

Some vets know the procedures better than others, at least your vet is being honest that he doesn't know.

Good luck with the move.