New here with big dog

Closed Thread

New here with big dog

Hi, new to this forum & soon to be new to HK & Sai Kung area.
    Just wondering if any of you have seen any Rhodesian Ridgebacks in Hong Kong or New Territories area in particular. We are moving to Sai Kung soon & have a Ridgeback. Have lived in another Asian city the past 4 years & only came across several there. Also we're keen on any dog shows in HK. Do you know of any other than the Hong Kong Kennel Club shows please? Is Sai Kung a good area for dogs & can they go onto the beaches? Thanks for any info you can help me out with. Cheers.

Sai Kung is very dog friendly and there is one small beach that dogs are allowed, Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but your local ferry guys will know and take you there. You get it from the main seafront.

The only thing you need to be wary of is that most of the dogs here in sai kung are pretty small and the kids are usually scared of anything bigger than a labrador.

Thx jimbo for your reply - appreciate it. Been living in Singapore for 2years with him so definately experienced with small dogs here & he's great with kids. We just let people know that he is gentle & it's fine. I've come across other RR's & they're so different to him in nature. He is really a big sook. Thnx also for the beach info. We'll check it out. Cheers.

hi leelee,

welcome to hk. sai kung is a good place for dogs. loads of people walking their doggies along the seafront everyday and at weekends, it can be one big dog party!! from sai kung town centre, head along the seafront for 10 minutes towards the bbq buffet restaurant (don't know the name, sorry) and there is a small beach that dog lovers use especially at weekends.
    don't worry about having a big dog, there are plenty of labs, retrievers etc...and people in sai kung are generally keen on dogs of any size.
    i have seen what i think is an rr once many years ago. it looked to me like a mongrel but had a gentle line of fur running down from it's neck to the base of it's tail. that's the only one i have ever seen, a rare breed in hk i would think.

Thanks en sursis for the info. Sounds great. Looking fwd to getting there.

Smile

Hi leelee,

Welcome! They are right about this, Sai Kung is a dog friendly place, although I'm not livng there, but I like to bring my dog there once a week, to let her meet some new friends, and play on the beach, though I can't deny that the beach near the BBQ place is quite nasty..hehe

But I believe ur dog will be happy to live there, because my dog likes there soo much that she is kind of addicted to the beach party, probably she is not used to the tiny apartment in HK.

there are a couple of ridgebacks in Discovery Bay...

Hi & thanx for all the responses. Really looking forward to my HK move. To Carang, thanx for your response about ridgebacks in DB. That was one of the places we were looking at going to but decided on Sai Kung - hard choice tho. It is ok to take our dog to DB on the ferry? Great to know other RR's are there - ta for that. Do you know the RR owners? - maybe catch up with them one day. Appreciate your help.

yes we know one of the owners, their dog came to stay with us when they were away...

absolutely lovely dog, one of hte nicest that i've ever met... owners are lovely too.

yes, you can take you dog on the ferry, but it must be muzzled. you can take your dog in a taxi as well, but you have to pay ($5, i think)...

enjoy your move, sai kung is a great place!