Like Tree2Likes

Experience witrh 4 month Quarantine for dog in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Our dog and cat are in the Pokfulam center - just under three weeks to go!

The staff are very friendly and generally very helpful. The kennels are reasonably large, and they have a nice garden that you can use when you visit. For the cat, the "cubicle" is indoors, airconditioned, but relatively small... our cat goes nuts, running around every time we visit!

Clean and tidy place.

It is quite a hike by public transport though...

Quote Originally Posted by JD2408:
    Hi

I will be moving to hong Kong in a few months from India. I understand that India being a category C country, I will need to quarantine my dog in a govt govt in HK for 4 months.

Does anyone have the experience of putting their dog thru the quarantine? Can someone pls help me with the below :

1. which quarantine did u use [i beleive there are 2 govt quarantine one in Pokfulam and one in Kowloon]

2. Was the quarantine clean

3. How often do they feed the dog [what if i want them to feed him more

4. Can i meet my dog daily

5. Can i take my dog for walks on weekends in the quarantine area while he is in quarantine?

6. was your dog ok after the 4 month quarantine?

Any info on the quarantine will be very helpful.

thanks in advance.

Cheers

Hi JD2048,

Have you moved yet? How was the quarantine experience? How's your dog doing now?

I may be relocating to HK from Bangkok in about a year, unfortunately, Thailand is also in Group 3. My dog is a Golden Retriever, needless to say, it bothers me so much that he will have to be confined in a kennel for 4 months. (

Hi Khunmo

I have still not relocated my dog. He is still in India. Im also very skeptical about this quarantine thing. I mean im sure its good etc, but somehow I know he will be miserable there, which makes me feel really bad.

I have to contempate between letting him be with my parents or put him through this pain. Still thinking

Lets stay in touch, I know i wd have decided and acted before u would have and I'll let you know my experience.

my cat has been through this and for cats it is ok.
    but I feel dogs need more space and action.

Also, keep in mind that you will move away from HK,
    Perhaps even very unexpectedly
    Thus parking your dog somewhere back home might be the better option

Lastly, I have read in one of the othe threads pertaining this topic that there are ways around quarantine but I have no actual experience

I'm so glad i found this thread! I've just relocated to hk and had been contemplating if i should move my dog (a shih tzu) here as well. I'm terribly concern bout the quarantine requirement as my dog is extremely pampered to the extend that we have to spoon-feed him at times. So i'm not too sure if he could survive the four months quarantine period imposed. Do you know if there is any exceptions where we can escape the 4 mths quarantine period?? my dog is in excellent health condition and i'm from malaysia which is unfortunately a C category as well.

I'm staying at mid-levels and pokfulam centre seems the best choice for me but looking at the visiting hours, its only possible for us to visit him on weekends as we both are working looks like my dog may be better off living with my parents back in malaysia...

It all depends how much you love your dog, how long will you be living in HK for, can you afford the cost of moving your dog here and also if their health can take the move.

Our cat managed the 4 mths in quarantine in Pokfulam, no worries and most visitors go to see their dog or cat on weekends, as told to me by the staff. I went everyday, but the facilities are clean, if basic and you can walk your dog around in a special 'play area'. The staff I found to be friendly - just speaking from experience, and no, our cat is pretty spoilt but was not 'emotionally or psychologically affected' in any way. You can provide your own food for your dog, if preferred.

As for living in the Mid Levels, it is a good area for dogs to walk and interact socially with other dogs.

Just don't decide to adopt a dog ( or cat) here in HK then abandon it after a couple of years if you decide to move.....

The 30X bus goes quite regularly from Exchange Sq or Connaught Rd (outside Maria's bakery) and stops outside the quarantine centre.

Either that or a $60 taxi ride...

Last edited by Natfixit; 13-06-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JD2408:
    Hi

I will be moving to hong Kong in a few months from India. I understand that India being a category C country, I will need to quarantine my dog in a govt govt in HK for 4 months.

Does anyone have the experience of putting their dog thru the quarantine? Can someone pls help me with the below :

1. which quarantine did u use [i beleive there are 2 govt quarantine one in Pokfulam and one in Kowloon]

2. Was the quarantine clean

3. How often do they feed the dog [what if i want them to feed him more

4. Can i meet my dog daily

5. Can i take my dog for walks on weekends in the quarantine area while he is in quarantine?

6. was your dog ok after the 4 month quarantine?

Any info on the quarantine will be very helpful.

thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Hey ,
    I have recently brought my dog from India to HK in 1 week quarantine.

Contact with petvacations.in [the agent i used] and they will help you with the workaround we used. their agent in HK is ferndalekennels.

let me know if you need any more details.

Cheers

Kaylee12, dogs rfom KL do not need quarantine

How many quarantine facilities are there? Is there one near Happy Valley?

there are 2. one on hk island and one in kowloon 9(or is it NT?)