dog food

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Smile

Jen,
    You may find it isn't the food at fault. When the dogs are out they lick the ground, often the areas where other animals, dogs and cats have urinated. It's possible they've picked up an intestinal infection. There are so many possible causes for illness and really, you need to take them to a registered vetinary surgeon as recommended by the VetinAsia guy/girl. FYI, The Ark in Third St, Sai Yin Pun, is open 24 hrs...but for 'peace-time' normal hours, just ensure wherever you go the vet is registered...ask them at the clinic's reception. Deworming is necessary in HK. So is Heartworm treatment...and 'Tick Fever' prevention. Let's put it this way...they NEED to be seen and checked at least annually. A blood test may be required for analysis.
    One school of thought is..when a pet is ill...and not obviously life-threatening (i.e. bleeding, breathing difficulties, accident etc.) then wait a day then see the vet. However, my practice is to see the vet immediately unless I'm fairly certain that it is unnecessary. I've had years of experinece in this, although not professionally medically trained.

Good luck and best of health to your pal,

Sarawesi

wow! thanks so much guys. vetinhk yes have read a lot of propoganda and the more i was reading the more i was getting confused! the main point that came up was the myth you mentioned about vets being sponsored by certain brands! good to know this is not the case.

i've had dogs my whole life and this lil one i have now has got to be the fussiest eater so far with the most disruptive stomach. guess i've been lucky my previous ones have always had stomachs made of iron and eaten just about everything you give them.

will take her to the vet asap and find out what's going on!

heya thanks sarawesi. the ark is very nearby. usually go to chris and nicola's, but reckon they'll be closed tomorrow when i finish work so guess the ark will be the best bet!

On the food front - Hills is one of several brand names that produce well-researched, top quality complete dog foods. If you're looking to buy a food that you can feed straight without preparation then this is ideal.
    There lots of diets with less research that try to claim to be more holistic but in reality any food that is sold dry in a bag has been processed to some extent or another.
    It's probably more important to find a decent diet that your dog loves rather than buy into all the hype.

If non-processed food is what you are looking for, then it is do-able but essentially involves home-made food every day and would need to be researched properly so that you do feed a balanced diet. They are several good diets out there but preparation time is an issue for many people here in HK.

Re - not eating now, I think that does warrant a visit to the vet. If you can't make it today though, consider trying to starve for the rest of the day and then offer the old Hills diet again tomorrow.

there is are 2 excellent American brands, merrick and wellness. wellness are the best food for dogs who get stomach problems easily and allergic reactions. i gave it to my madams sheltie who is highly allergic to many types of dog food... even hills... and no skin problem, itchy skin and tear stains. its the best. merrick also but a bit fatty. but dog love it. best flavor is granny's pot pie. and in the food you do see the dried peas and carrots. you should also try to can food it has the whole chicken wing inside.

Chicken rice

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    if she's used to one kind of food and then you suddenly make a change, it is quite common for dog's to get a bad tummy. it is usually recommended to mix the two foods together for a few days so that it isn't quite full on right away.

if she has a bad tummy now, try boiling some chicken breasts and giving it cold with some cold rice
    This is spot on advice. Change dog food slowly mixing it in with the other.
    I have also personally found brown (better) rice and chicken seems to be a tonic. I give it warm, using the chicken broth to pour over the rice and or dry dog food. I also use it mixed with hills or Royal dry food. Excellent for dogs with allergies or coat problems and fussy eaters. You can also throw in chicken wings besides the breast but remove the bones as these cooked are no good, also the oil in wings is not so good for curing mild tummy upsets, but is very good otherwise.