FYI new pet insurance

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Had a response for incident and renewals.

Incident does define anyone accident or illness. Haven't got back to them for how that effects long term illnesses but may mean less available funds than first thought...

Renewals - pretty vague answer...
    Basically they assess each policy at renewal and decide from that if any new exclusions need added...

Sounds like may have to assess each year whether it's worth renewing or not.

Think overall may be worth it, if happy using the clinics involved. Still would cover enough scenarios that I wouldn't have the cash to do myself...

What are the other policies you've checked before?

really need to read the small print, (so small!) also doesn't cover the "dangerous dogs" ie: Pit Bulls, Mastiffs, Tosa Inu etc....

Spoke with insurance broker yesterday evening and he said that all certified vet clinics were included and not restricted to say just SPCA.

the other issue i suppose is how long will this insurance run for... haven't most of the pet insurance policies just died a slow death?

Thanks for looking into that.

So it's probably ok if, say your pet breaks a leg and needs surgery, but they'd probably manage to get out of paying anything for illnesses one way or another.

I'll think about it a bit more - I've not really looked at the premiums yet.

Apart from the SunAlliance ones, are there others?

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Man:
    Had a response for incident and renewals.

Incident does define anyone accident or illness. Haven't got back to them for how that effects long term illnesses but may mean less available funds than first thought...

Renewals - pretty vague answer...
    Basically they assess each policy at renewal and decide from that if any new exclusions need added...

Sounds like may have to assess each year whether it's worth renewing or not.

Think overall may be worth it, if happy using the clinics involved. Still would cover enough scenarios that I wouldn't have the cash to do myself...

What are the other policies you've checked before?

Dangerous dogs are excluded but doesn't include mastiffs - only breed on there I'd recognise is a pit-bull.
    Think they're meant to be banned in HK anyway...

Got that wrong about the exclusive part - found a non-SPCA, non-Pets Central clinic offering today near me so must be open to all clinics - depends whether they choose to get involved.

Lastability - should be better as actually backed by big vet groups now.
    Prev insurance companies never seemed to get the backing of any clinics so never really took off - that's how its been explained and certainly appeared to me.
    If clinics are promoting it and offering people the option of using it then I think it will take off.
    There's certainly a lot of people in this neck of the woods who have bemoaned the lack of pet insurance so assume many will take it up.

Otherhand, none of companies are doing it for charity reasons so if does work out unviable then suppose it may get canned.

Don't think any of the clinics would get involved unless they had some agrement from the insurance people that the plans will run as stated.

Other clinic in my area is part of Victory group, so have 3 large vet groups all involved and none of them want to be left chasing fees because the insurance won't payout, or left with a PR nightmare as someone unable to get claim back...

Mind, vets don't always make good business people - probably good thing too...

Other options - I don't know any currently active.
    Seen few companies try in past but never seen much happen with them.

yea a lot of the other plans i've seen or read all died out or had too many restrictions in the fine print. all state that they will not cover existing problems (which sux when my peke has so much wrong with him!), and a lot of them had a limit to how many visits. which is one good thing about the current one posted.

Pet Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Man:
    Mind, vets don't always make good business people - probably good thing too...

Other options - I don't know any currently active.
    Seen few companies try in past but never seen much happen with them.
    Vets should encourage clients to have Pet insurance. It is good for the bottom line. Only good if client pays first and chases the insurance later.....

Good that something is happening that is supported, at least by some veterinary groups.

Torito