advice from pet owners/ lovers WANTED!

Closed Thread

advice from pet owners/ lovers WANTED!

Hello,

I'm seeking advice relating to buying a pet(s).

Previously I've owned all manner of pets, not (liking) reptiles, having lived in tropical and western climates.......................

I've been seriously wanting to get a pet for some time, and am considering getting a parrot or mina bird, having had both back in S.A.

The advice that I need is related to wanting to get an additional 'four legged' animal. I am aware that there are cats and dogs, which if I end up getting will be using the RSPCA as a starting point.

However, I wanted to get something more exotic and unusual if that exists here? All my previous searches have led me no where! I guess I'm looking for suggestions/ advice and/ or direction.

(I am so far uninterested in rabbits, chinchillas and hamsters).

I have a large apartment and time to dedicate.

Additionally if anyone could also suggest the best places to get birds, and the best places/ orgainsations etc for use with care of them.

Thanks and happy Christmas!

Go to Tung Choi St in Mongkok.

Has petshops with birds, reptiles, small furry animals - the works.
    Should be able to find something that appeals...

Suggest have look first and then go back do research on taking care before taking on as some of these can be quite tricky to look after properly.
    Advice from sellers often limited or incorrect.

Also has all the supplies you need and Vet clinics in the area as well.

Big 5,

You are not looking for a marsupial or monotreme are you?
    In HK, if you go to the the back end of the Ladies Market or adjacent streets, you might be able to see some 4-leggeds being sold, that are not traditionally reared as pets. More that once I have seen an animal like a vixen, or the rare east africa semi-domestic cat or even wild Abyssinian cats......Keep looking and make sure it is legal to have them/it....BTW you might be in competition with the guys from Kadoorie FYI!

Torito

hi big 5,

if you are planning to buy a four legged animal. i suggested you may considered to adopt one too.

you can visit
    http://www.hkalleycatwatch.com for cats
    and
    http://www.hongkongdogrescue.com

they are just troops of expats and non-profit organization who gather all the 'orphans' in town and trying to rehome them. they have make sure they are all healthy before you can take them home.

good luck.!

tash.

Feeling guilty.....................

Sorry everyone, I meant to thank the two original posters, but now it's three. I am going to head down to the market, and have already been scanning the websites for the various rescue centers for some time.

Having read the lenghty threads on transporting animals by plane in hand luggage, I'm now potentially working to a tighter remit.

The reason that I haven't thankfully gone ahead thus far is due to remembering that I'm about to go abroad for maybe a few weeks, well in the near months anyway. Thinking it's better to wait until after then. Although the prospect of picking up an illicit marsupial is certainly very tempting- lol!!

Regards

Big 5