Chocolate

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chocolate

My dog accidentally ate a chocolate muffin.. I remember someone telling me that dogs shouldn't eat chocolate..

Hope someone can give me some pointers..

I don't think one is going to do any harm though. I think they're not supposed to have sugar right? Doesn't it lead to blindness?

Chocolate is poison to Dogs. (As is Carrots and Onions from what I remember) Depending on the amount consumed the dog may fall ill, or pass away. Monitor the dog careful for any signs of a problem.

I hope the dog is ok!

Check out this link, goes over the dosages etc
    http://www.apogeecomgrp.com/drkevin/chocolate.html

Last edited by HKChigger; 28-12-2006 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Added link

Probably by time you see this, you will already know if there is going to be a problem or not.
    Chocolate is a poison in dogs but it depends on the amount eaten as to whether there will be any clinical problems.

Unless you have a very small dog, then a chocolate muffin will likely have only a small dose of actual chocolate so I think you should be ok.
    Dark chocolate is a far higher risk as it has a higher concentration of chocolate.

Signs of a problem include vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, fast heart and breathing rates, shivering etc.
    If you see any of these then get straight to a vet for assessment.

If not (and usually see within first 4 hours after eating) then probably not a toxic dose.

Thanks for the response.. My dog "UD" is still doing fine.. Seems a very small dose for a 30 lb dog (cross Labrador/Golden Retriever)

Hmmm...

I didn't expect this post to be in relation to pets! Was going to share how I recently found a See's Candy shop in kowloon tong if anyone wants to know... Loved their chocolates back home, couldn't believe there is one here

Agree on the points already made, it is mostly dark chocolate that'd be risky...

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Danae:
    I didn't expect this post to be in relation to pets! Was going to share how I recently found a See's Candy shop in kowloon tong if anyone wants to know... Loved their chocolates back home, couldn't believe there is one here

Agree on the points already made, it is mostly dark chocolate that'd be risky...
    See's also in the Landmark, but the prices here are ridiculous. hkd 300 per pound versus ~ USD 13 back in seattle.

Chocolate is very bad for dogs but one bit is not usually fatal. As PC_man said but even small doses given often can build up and cause cancer or kill the poor pooch.

Interesting. I had no idea of this.

And of course the reason (well, maybe not THE reason) is that chocolate contains an alkaloid. Alkaloids include nicotine, cocaine, caffeine, theine, etc. Theobromine is the main alkaloid in chocolate, and is a stimulant, as are caffeeine and cocaine. Many alkaloids are poisons and have physiological effects that render them valuable as medicines.

Apparently theobromine is poisonous to dogs. Is the same true for caffeine?

Yeah - caffeine works in the same way so get similar symptoms.
    Again, I think needs a fair amount to be toxic depending on size of animal.

Not aware of any cumulative effect - seems to be more a problem in acute instances (ie eaten lots in 1 go, rather than eating little bits every day).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast