Transporting dog Los Angeles > Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Transporting dog Los Angeles > Hong Kong

I am leaving from Los Angeles to Hong Kong at the end of this month and I am trying to bring my dog along (Sparky). I have tried searching online and forums for info on the procedures of bringing a dog into Hong Kong and I get nothing at all. I would like to know what exactly is the first step I should take and/or the full procedure? I am planning to get this done ASAP. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

btw, I have tried calling those pet transport companies and they quoted me a high price so I decided to do this on my own. I have tried asking them what are the procedures and they said I have to use their service in order to tell me the info.

Erica & Sparky

Last edited by Sicknoted; 06-01-2007 at 09:48 PM.

contact the agriculture and fisheries dept of the hk gov't. they'll be able to tell you what needs to be done.

keep in mind that there is a certain order to do things in order for you to bring your pooch. there are also time constraints. but from what i understand, if you have the time, then it's fairly straight forward.

good luck!

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/quara..._ipab_idc.html has the details of what is needed at this end. Of course you'll need to arrange the shipping some how.

Unhappy

With only a month to go, you're cutting it very thin on time since there is at least one vaccination (rabies) which must be done more than 30 days prior to departure Anyway, the link from PDLM is the right one.

Here is stuff you should do right now:
    -> Apply for a import permit from HK
    -> Get your dog vaccinated for rabies. Must be more than 30 days before departure.
    -> Check the other vaccinations w/ your vet (canine distemper, canine hepatitis, canine parvovirus). These must be completed more than 14 days before departure.
    -> Find a vet in LA who can write you an official health certificate plus residence certificate
    -> Make sure your dog is microchipped (requirement)
    -> Book the flight for your dog (contact the airline...they will know)

Good luck w/ the move...

Did you contact an export company in HK or LA?

Whilst the price may sound high, it may actually work out cheaper in the long run to get someone who knows what they are doing working for you at such short notice rather than find you miss things and having to re-do/re-book.

It's not going to be cheap even if you do by your self.

Previous advice is all good if you still plan to do for self.
    Rabies and microchip are priority at moment - check they use the HK recognised chip (AVID).

As PCman said, it is probably easier to get someone else to do the transport and associated papers/chips/vaccs for you. I know from personal experience it is a real pain to get your pet from the airport in HK on your own - best to get someone who does it on a daily basis to do it for you. Not only do you not have to worry about what chip, vacc, paperwork, etc, you don't have to worry about going to the freight section of the airport, then customs, then quarantine etc etc etc.. it's all so long ago and foggy in my memory, but i do know it was all a right pain, and i would happily pay another 30% (which is about all it would end up being) to get someone to do it all for me.

Oh, and depending on the current restrictions etc by the AgFishDep, I think that the rabies and chip can both be done here in HK b4 your pet is wheeled out of quarantine... once again, a pet transport Co can tell you all the inside knowledge like that

Last edited by VetinHK; 07-01-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Er, but coming from the US (and about 40 other countries) you don't need quarantine if all the requirements are met before shipping...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Er, but coming from the US (and about 40 other countries) you don't need quarantine if all the requirements are met before shipping...
    Correct indeed PDLM, but you do need to be passed by the quarantine officer, who is will not let your pet pass without the rabies vacc and microchip. So, there is no quarantine withholding period, but you still go through quarantine.

My pets were flown fom Oz, and were both AVID microchipped/rabies vacc'd by the AFD vet before quarantine approval, right here in HK. Took all of 15mins, plus papers, papers and more papers...
    Last edited by VetinHK; 07-01-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Also in terms of cost, the price I was quoted to ship my 2 cats from UK to HK was £100 more expensive than the cost the pet travel company charged me for the same flight. I guess the airlines want to encourage people to use transportation companies as it makes their lives easier too.

Won't necessarily apply to all airlines, but worth bearing in mind.

Thank you everyone for giving me so many advices. I will get right on it. Hope I can get Sparky over to HK in time. Many thanks

ooo by the way the pet transport guys said the service including
    - Airfare
    - Administrative Fee
    - USDA Endorsements
    - Airport Shuttle
    - Import Permit
    Total: $1,450

Is that a high price?

Last edited by Sicknoted; 07-01-2007 at 10:54 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast