Like Tree2Likes

Is it inappropriate to pet the drug sniffing security dogs in the airport?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

As long as you ask first I don't see why not
    Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely never do that to a working dog whether it is police, security or a blind person.

The dog handlers view this as a distraction to their dog and they are trying to keep them focused on their work.

That is absolutely a no-no.

If someone went to pet the drug sniffing dog they might actually think you are doing so to stop the dog from sniffing out your drug packing fellow traveller? I could see some over zealous police make an arrest for investigation of obstruction - not that the charge would stick but why risk any thing like that.

Much like you'd not say "bomb" while going through airport security or fastening your seat belt.

Last edited by Football16; 03-11-2010 at 02:02 PM.
    Crocodile likes this.

I'm with Football on this. They are working dogs not pets so I would leave well alone. Still not forgiven the sniffer dog in Greece for eating my sandwiches!

The dog and its handler are working so it's likely not a good idea and there's a very good chance that the handler would not appreciate it however there is no harm in asking. You might get a friendly one once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I'm with Football on this. They are working dogs not pets so I would leave well alone. Still not forgiven the sniffer dog in Greece for eating my sandwiches!
    A seagull once tried to swoop down and steal my tuna & sweetcorn sandwich in Wales. I saw it coming out of the corner of my I and caught it square underneath the jaw with an uppercut. Nothing gets near my lunch!

Back on topic - it's inappropriate to pet anybody's dog without asking the owner first unless it comes over to you. Some dogs might be nervous or have been abused in the past which causes them to panic. Some dogs bite when scared and it's not fair to risk the dog's life (there is a chance a dog will be destroyed if it bites somebody).

*No seagulls were harmed in the writing of this post*

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie:
    YES -and I frankly don't see why you would need to pet the dog....

depends if your carrying any drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    YES -and I frankly don't see why you would need to pet the dog....
    It's not that i 'NEED' too. My son has a fascination with the dogs at the airport and always wants to pet them. Anyway, we are about to travel so i was just wondering that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie:
    It's not that i 'NEED' too. My son has a fascination with the dogs at the airport and always wants to pet them. Anyway, we are about to travel so i was just wondering that's all.
    you could always plant some bacon slices in your sons pockets, and let him walk by. then he will get a real opportunity to pet the dogs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast