How to find puppies for sale

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Once you narrow down the breed(s) you are interested in, vets and local kennel clubs can provide some breeder recommendations. http://www.hkkennelclub.com.hk/new/english/main.html

However, there probably aren't decent local breeders for all breeds. In Hong Kong a big worry with local breeders in inbreeding and the doggie health problems that often result. Be sure to examine any potential puppy's bloodline and keep in contact with a vet during the process to have the puppy and the mother examined before a purchase. Also, ask how often the mother dog is bred. If its more than once a year the breeder probably doesn't care much about the health of his dogs and you should consider looking elsewhere for a healthy pup. If you have to buy a purebreed, make sure its healthy and you aren't supporting harmful breeding practices that are so common in HK.

getting a dog

I agree with everything that has been written here, if you are not willing to give a dog from the shelters here a go, perhaps I can persuade you.
    The climate in Hong Kong is not suitable for many breeds, the humidity is very high and it can be very hot, local dogs and I don't mean pedigree ones, though there are plenty of those at shelters, are the best. They are very thrifty don't get sick easily and are purpose made for the job. This will save you tens of thousands if dollars in vet bills, and believe me vets are unreasonably expensive here. Locals are also street smart and have none of the neurosis that so many of the pedigree dogs come with.

Take yourself to Sai Kung on a Saturday morning, right outside the Wellcom department store, a group of dog rescuers bring a big basket of happy little well cared for plump puppies that are looking for homes, all have been abandoned or handed in. You will also see hundreds of people with their dogs strolling around town, especially along the sea front. Don't expect to take a puppy home with you, you will first have to be able to satisfy them that you are able to properly keep one and that might involve a home visit.

There are only one or two good pedigree breeds of dog to choose from in Hong Kong, Pugs are good as are a few other of the smaller breeds, the rest are in pretty bad shape due to bad breeding practises and or a lack of a significantly healthy gene pool.
    Pet shops are absolutely not the place to buy a dog under any circumstances. Most keel over from parvo infection and will break your heart. Remember too that once a puppy has a parvo infection a subsequent vaccination is useless so even your best intentions are usually not good enough.

Contact, as has been said before, the Kennel club, or do a search for the particular breed club here in HK on the internet and contact them for further advice directly. You may have to import if the dog you want is badly represented, as are indeed most of the pedigree dogs here, especially the more popular or fashionable ones. Bear in mind that a dog has to be at least three or four months old before it can be imported into the country, so you might miss out on all that little cute fluffy puppy fun too.

where do i see the puppys pictures

You can start here at Geoexpat go to classified then thru pet adoption you can see some puppies , dogs and cats photos that needs home.

After my search I now know a good alsatian breeder and two good lab breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by Patric:
    The climate in Hong Kong is not suitable for many breeds, the humidity is very high and it can be very hot, local dogs and I don't mean pedigree ones, though there are plenty of those at shelters, are the best. They are very thrifty don't get sick easily and are purpose made for the job. Locals are also street smart and have none of the neurosis that so many of the pedigree dogs come with.

Pugs are good
    It appears you have contradicted yourself. You are correct in saying the climate isn't suitable for many breeds and yet you say pugs are good. Dogs with brachycephalic faces suffer a great deal in this heat. Do you mean pugs are good because of their size?

"Local dogs" ie; the type of dogs seen worldwide scavenging on the fringes of society etc are mongrels and look quite Spitz-like with erect ears and curled tail. Crossbred dogs tend to have less health issues due to a more diverse gene pool. Neurotic behaviour is not limited to pedigree dogs. It's all down to what the behaviour of it's parents are, the pup's early environment, training, particularly for the first 16 weeks of it's life and the ongoing environment in which the dog lives.
    Last edited by Tanae; 02-05-2012 at 02:45 PM.