Like Tree2Likes

Raw Food Diet

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner:
    So we finally decided to go the raw food route despite the "ick" factor. We are now in our first month of feeding raw, and honestly, the work isn't too bad. A few hours on the first day to prepare everything and pour the food into individual containers for freezing, and we're done for the month. No doubt, those few hours will come down to an hour or less once we get the hang of it.

Anyway, if there are other raw feeders out there, I'd like to share tips and ideas regarding raw feeding in Hong Kong. I'd be more than happy to share my own recipe and process if people are interested. It is not my intention to start a raw vs. whatever debate ... that can be for another thread. But for those who have gone raw, I'd love to discuss how you go about doing it.

For example, after preparing our first month's food, I realized that certain things are hard to come by. Where do you get alfalfa? How about turkey/duck/chicken necks? (couldn't find them at the Wan Chai or Happy Valley wet markets). What about bird flu? Anyone use a meat grinder? etc.

So, are there any raw feeders hanging out on Geoexpat?
    ================================================== =======

Yes I am a Sai Kung based raw feeder and I'd be happy to exchange tips with you, even if this post is over three years old! I currently buy (all imported) frozen beef/lamb/chicken (feet, necks, wings plus the whole thing), turkey gizzards, baby back ribs, ox tongue etc from Shek Kee frozen meat supplier. I get my organs from Butcher King as Shek Kee don't do organs. Butcher King also grind up the leftovers from the stuff they can't sell to the public and sell that very cheaply. Lamb bones come from K9 Natural at Pets Central. I'm looking for green tripe but have only been able to locate the bleached white stuff, which is no good. I have found Tripett (canned from Canada) to be pretty good, but I'm looking for the real stuff. Any ideas? Do you know of any hole in the wall type frozen meat wholesalers/retailers anywhere in Hong Kong apart from Sai Kung? i.e. not the posh places which charge a fortune for rent. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bugak:

Yes I am a Sai Kung based raw feeder and I'd be happy to exchange tips with you, even if this post is over three years old! I currently buy (all imported) frozen beef/lamb/chicken (feet, necks, wings plus the whole thing), turkey gizzards, baby back ribs, ox tongue etc from Shek Kee frozen meat supplier. I get my organs from Butcher King as Shek Kee don't do organs. Butcher King also grind up the leftovers from the stuff they can't sell to the public and sell that very cheaply. Lamb bones come from K9 Natural at Pets Central. I'm looking for green tripe but have only been able to locate the bleached white stuff, which is no good. I have found Tripett (canned from Canada) to be pretty good, but I'm looking for the real stuff. Any ideas? Do you know of any hole in the wall type frozen meat wholesalers/retailers anywhere in Hong Kong apart from Sai Kung? i.e. not the posh places which charge a fortune for rent. Thanks!
    I can't help thinking that eating raw green tripe might be a mistake...

Hey Bugak! I'm not aware of any fresh green tripe here, and I don't know how helpful this is, but K9 Naturals has freeze-dried lamb green tripe. It comes in a 200 gram bag and reconstitutes to 1 kg. I didn't buy it in HK though (brought it over from Vancouver), so maybe you could give some pet stores a call? Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by kvw21:
    Hey Bugak! I'm not aware of any fresh green tripe here, and I don't know how helpful this is, but K9 Naturals has freeze-dried lamb green tripe. It comes in a 200 gram bag and reconstitutes to 1 kg. I didn't buy it in HK though (brought it over from Vancouver), so maybe you could give some pet stores a call? Hope this helps!
    Thanks I was aware of it but K9 don't seem to stock it here in HK....pity! I use Tripett but am still on a quest to get the real stuff though...the best food ever for dogs!

I know some restaurants that serve green tripe, small local ones. I'll ask them where they get it from, I'm sure I've seen them in the wet markets.

Wow, really. Normally this stuff is not for human consumption as it is the undigested contents of a cow's stomach. I've seen the white bleached stuff plenty of times in stuff like dim sum, but never the green type.

Wow, really. Normally this stuff is not for human consumption as it is the undigested contents of a cow's stomach. I've seen the white bleached stuff plenty of times in stuff like dim sum, but never the green type.
    After a bit of washing, it's just boiled and served with a side bowl of soya sauce with chilli and spring onions. The colour then is more grey/black. You might see it in photos of dishes on display. The last time I had it was in a Chiw Chow restaurant.

My friend has recently imported some raw green tripe from New Zealand for her dogs. She has just sold one pack to me. I can ask if she can sell some to you.

I've also started feeding my dogs barf diets since 2 weeks ago

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6