Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By carang
  • 1 Post By Kiwi3
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG
  • 1 Post By PC_Man

alternative treatment for distemper?

Closed Thread

Unhappy alternative treatment for distemper?

my puppy was diagnosed with distemper today, done numerous readings on subject and its not too encouraging, are there any vets in hong kong that practices "alternative" medicine? ..pretty desperate to try anything at this point..such a sad sad day...she's been coughing for a week but still eats like a champ...please post a link or anything if you know..thanks in advance...

Why not ask at the SPCA? It is a fairly common problem, ask how they typically deal with it.

nycjeff likes this.

one of our dogs(then a small puppy) developed distemper only 2 days after bringing him home from the SPCA. he was in REALLY bad shape. we separated him from our other dog and gave him our entire bedroom to him. we also took him into the bathroom and ran the hot water and let the steam help him. he was really on death's door for quite a while. i remember talking to my hubby about what we do if he died over night....anyway, the SPCA provided meds for him and he's now a happy and healthy 7 year old!

he still has a few problems, like having to have his teeth removed, a jerky movement of his mouth etc, but nothing majorly serious.

Fiona in HKG and nycjeff like this.

thanks for the encouraging story, she is on anibiotics and stagloban now, hope it gets better, praying praying praying...

Hope everything works out for the little one.

nycjeff likes this.

Has she been diagnosed with presumed distemper or has she been tested? There are several throat infections that look like distemper in the early stages that respond very well to treatment.

If she's is still eating well that is also a good sign.

At this stage, antibiotics are probably your main treatment option but for alternative vets consider Dr Susie at SPCA and Dr Ann-si at Pets Central. Both do acupuncture and herbal treatments.

If no brain-repated symptoms occur though, your pup could make a full recovery on conventional medicine anyway.

nycjeff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Man:
    Has she been diagnosed with presumed distemper or has she been tested? There are several throat infections that look like distemper in the early stages that respond very well to treatment.

If she's is still eating well that is also a good sign.

At this stage, antibiotics are probably your main treatment option but for alternative vets consider Dr Susie at SPCA and Dr Ann-si at Pets Central. Both do acupuncture and herbal treatments.

If no brain-repated symptoms occur though, your pup could make a full recovery on conventional medicine anyway.
    It was a fifteen minute blood test done by the vet and the results were positive, went and consulted with other vets from different clinics and the only thing to do is suppress the secondary infections . I am really hoping its a false diagnosis and she had just caught a bad cold. So far she is cheerful and eating well . At the first sign of her getting worse i will definitely give the doctors you mentioned a call..Thank you so much ...