organ meat for dog meals

Closed Thread

organ meat for dog meals

i was wondering if anyone knew where i could buy chicken hearts near kennedy town?

started feeding my dog with some home cooked meals and every now and then i try to add in organ meat. so far i've been buying beef liver cause its so easy to cut etc. but I heard that hearts are good for dogs with heart murmur due to the taurine level?

i haven't really gone searching around the markets cause all i see hanging are huge pig's hearts or maybe they're beef hearts as well.. but ya... hope to be informed before i get yelled at for asking too many questions in the wet market @@

You can just go to the wet market on Smithfield Road. The stalls that sell chickens have them. But you need to ask for chicken liver, & the "full set" includes the heart.

You shouldnt cook the meals for them, their GI tract cannot assimilate cooked amino acids. Wet Markets for fresh or you can go to Yu Kee for frozen in a 1 kilo bag. Yu Kee has better pricing for these kinds of things, I would also incorporate other organs like stomach, intestines, and bones since meat only provides one part of all of the necessary nutritive.

Just to add to HKF's post: never ever ever give your dog cooked bones. They are much more likely to splinter and inflict serious damage as it passes through the dog's digestive system.

will anyone sell the organs grounded?

One last thing, do not feed your animals raw fresh pork, this includes pork meat and organs. The chances of Trichinosis is really really high. Even in the states I avoid feeding my dogs raw pork, its not worth the risks.

I suspect the wet markets will sell things like liver and kidneys - both of which are excellent nutritionally for your dog. I'm not so sure about the more obscure organs, though.

i went to the tin hau clinic for a meal plan so nutrition wise i should be ok. if the meat or veggies miss anything the supplements will all cover that up...... i hope. interesting thing i learnt from the vet was that the beneficial factors for a raw meal compared to a cooked meal are not that big. raw being best for the dog and cooked just a bit lower but the kibble are what gives the huge gap between the two.

i'll test out the market at smithfield though cause i think the 1kilo deal might be too much : / small dog he doesnt eat much... although i'm a bit reluctant to see the other organs along with the heart lol.. last time i asked for a pig ear, little did i know they would give me the entire pig's head.. @@

Trichinosis is not a big deal in US pork since it has been all but eradicated. In Hong Kong? I'm not so sure. But even if trichinosis was a problem, you can resolve it by freezing the pork for a few weeks.

While I do feed raw chicken to my dogs, I make sure that they are sourced outside of SE Asia due to bird flu concerns. For this reason, I don't but chicken organs in the wet markets.

Instead, I buy beef liver and heart at the CWB wet market near Times Square. There are a few middle-easterner-run stalls there where English is spoken. And they are willing to grind up the organ meat for me (some other wet market vendors would not grind up organ meat for me). I buy enough for a 2-month supply so it's not much of a hassle.

FYI, liver should constitute 5-10% of their diet + another 5-10% of other organs. Heart, while technically an organ, is closer to muscle meat in nutritional value; this should be taken into account when formulating your meals.