Like Tree3Likes

Fire in Happy Valley pet store

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down Fire in Happy Valley pet store

Fire early this morning in a pet store in Happy Valley, next to the 7 Eleven along Sing Woo Road.

10 dogs and cats reported to have died in the fire.

The smoking of catnip by residents must be banned in pet stores!

Still, I read about it today - horrible, really horrible to hear of the cats and dogs that died in this.

what is it going to take to make the gov to change the law for mandatory fire sprinklers in non residential building?

emx likes this.

Update - 17 cats and dogs died in the fire.

No fire alarm or sprinklers fitted in this commercial premise.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    what is it going to take to make the gov to change the law for mandatory fire sprinklers in non residential building?
    I wasnt aware we still had buildings with no sprinklers. Thats pretty bad.

Can you still get insurance for them? I would think if insurance industry stopped insuring or made it very expensive, then the problem would sort itself out quickly too.

This makes me really really f-ing angry. Can you imagine the pain and fear these animals trapped in their cages, must have experienced?

Those poor creatures, bread in miserable conditions, then kept in cages and displayed almost as consumer items such as toys, and then to die like this.

I would urge anyone here to please never support stores that sell live mammals as pets. It’s a disgusting, cruel, inhumane trade. If you buy from such stores you are supporting this on-going cruelty.

randy1, while it is terribly tragic, i believe that at this particular pet shop the majority of animals that died were being boarded, not bred for sale. i've been there a few times and they seemed to have a small boardindg kennel operation along with grooming, but didn't seem to sell puppies. i could be mistake, but you're making a pretty big assumption about this company's operations.

Boarded? So they belonged to owners who were overseas? That must be heartbreaking for the owners. The safety of ones pet is of course a big concern for anyone travels and had their pets looked after at a boarding facility.

Yes, I am not sure if this place was a pet shop or not - I might well be wrong on that.

Randy , read yesterday's City section, C1 in the SCMP - "The shop had offered grooming services, sold 'high quality' puppies for sale, and provided "hotel" services and free home delivery."

What gets my blood boiling is that the shop was clearing renovating, therefore putting all animals in danger - not just fire, but noise and the dust/dirt involved would have been unbelievably stressful for them.

Beats me why they hadn't installed smoke detectors inside the building - if the owners truly cared about the pets, then surely they would pay the cost of having decent alarms installed and checked regularly.

Apparently, the reno work had been going on for the past two weeks. Beats me why the owners couldn't have moved the aminals to a safer place.

Last edited by Natfixit; 19-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast