Like Tree14Likes

Responsible Poodle Breeder?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    So far, she told me that the breeder is recommending that we get a 'puppy' that is about 5 months as it would be easier to take care of and most of the early health issues will be taken care of. It does make sense but the skeptical side of me has me thinking that she is saying this because she has one that is already that old and my guess is that it is harder for her to sell older 'puppies'. Your thoughts?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    I think it a bit odd that a breeder would recommend a 5 month old pup, unless you had indicated that you were not sure you were ready to handle a young puppy (with all the going out every couple hours for housebreaking, etc) and even then I would think a more normal response would be to guide the potential owner through puppy care.

Would be very wary of any mention of 'early health issues'. Puppies do not inherently have health issues just because they are young. Perhaps the breeder was referring to the several sets of vaccinations (rabies isn't given until around 5 months) and didn't explain well. But, even then taking a puppy in to the vet for a couple sets of shots when compared with everything else that goes along with raising a puppy, is hardly an issue.

Some questions I would be sure to ask the breeder:
    How often do you keep puppies past 12 weeks? Do you sell many 5 month olds?
    Are the other puppies in the litter still with you? If not, why is this pup?
    How many times has the pup's mother been bred, and how often?
    How has the puppy been socialized with people and other dogs over the last 5 months?
    Is said puppy walked, daily, on a leash (at 5 months I would hope so, even toy breeds need this kind of exercise for both physical and mental health and wellbeing).
    Is puppy kept in a cage/ crate? If so, how often is puppy let out?

At five months many of a pup's social habits will be quite established and if it has not had the proper socialization with dogs, people and outside it's immediate living quarters there may be issues.

Best of luck and please do speak with HKDR. Poodles, including young ones, do come and go quite frequently.
    mercury_element likes this.

Also agree with other posters that in many cases HK breeders have terrible breeding practices and would approach any potential purchase of a dog in HK with great caution.

And, another question for the breeder - have they had any cases of parvo, kennel cough, distemper or other infectious diseases at their facilities? Way too many pups leave the breeder already infected with these terrible and generally preventable canine diseases which result in big vet bills and often death. If you read the HKDR blog, go back a few weeks and look at the story about baby poodle Button who had a life threatening illness and was dumped by either a breeder or owner on the street at a very young age.

Also, you can have a third party vet do a health check before purchasing, to make sure the puppy is up to date on it's vaccinations ( breeder should be keeping a record for you and the vet to review) and that it is in good general health. If the breeder hesitates I would see that as a red flag. The practice is common in the US and elsewhere.

mercury_element likes this.

I have an English bulldog that Sally from HKDR rescued. He is my pride and joy.. They are a stubborn dog and can play rough but he is the cuddliest dog and most faithful dog i have ever had.. thank you HKDR for saving my Sam Sam.... there are so may wonderful organisations out there that are trying their best to rehome dogs. Kirsten's Zoo, LAP SPCA..... My Bulldog was someone else"s reject...how sad for them as he is the BEST dog ever!!!!!

As mini poodles are so popular in HK, you actually get a lot of them going through the doors of HKDR, SPCA and so on.
    But they pass through quickly, in and out often in the same day so you can't rely on their website, you have to email them, ring them and turn up at adoption events etc and persist.
    Of all the 'looking for a responsibly breeder' threads, this breed of dog has to be the easiest to get so luck can be on your side if you are patient....

Quote Originally Posted by sandyduncan:
    I have an English bulldog that Sally from HKDR rescued. He is my pride and joy.. They are a stubborn dog and can play rough but he is the cuddliest dog and most faithful dog i have ever had.. thank you HKDR for saving my Sam Sam.... there are so may wonderful organisations out there that are trying their best to rehome dogs. Kirsten's Zoo, LAP SPCA..... My Bulldog was someone else"s reject...how sad for them as he is the BEST dog ever!!!!!
    i know sam and i can attest and agree to his "greatness"... his only flaw? man, does he snore LOUDLY!!!!
    SiuMaiTaiTai likes this.

By all means visit the breeder, it would be an educational experience.

Ask to see the conditions that the mother lives in, and ask LOTS of probing questions.

kogia likes this.

Have you got your poodle yet? If not i would recommend on spending a Sunday afternoon at Whiskers and Paws in Ap Lei Chau, HKDR do a puppy adoption from 2 to 5. There may not be a poodle puppy on the day you go, but there will be other puppies there all looking for a home. After your girls have had a chance to play with the puppies i reckon you'll be in the dog house if you return home without one.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i would NEVER, EVER, EVER buy from a hk breeder. they are notorious for bad breeding practices... just as i would NEVER, EVER, EVER buy an animal from a hk pet shop.
    100% agree!