Urgent!! Dog Blood Donation Needed!!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PDLM - I am assuming you are not a dog lover otherwise you wouldn't be wondering why us dog lovers would ever think of obtaining blood or anything else from dogs that are about to be slaughtered for food.

In any case, as already mentioned by someone earlier, the blood may be contaminated in some way. You would have to pay for a blood check/count to see if there was anything wrong with the blood in order to use it.

My dog was diagnosed with tick fever last christmas and he nearly died, they did an emergency blood transfusion as the last resort and luckily he survived. Tick fever is lethal when the parasit gets into the blood stream and kills the healthy red cells so the dog becomes aneamic and can't regenerate cells to heal itself. Now imagine that Delia's dog got a transfusion with tainted blood suck as tick fever...

It just doesn't make sense in any way to use blood obtained that way.

Folks I am with PDLM here....and I am a dog owner.

The dogs he mentioned are due to get slaughtered and put on someone's dinner plate. You might as well make good use of the blood (which I am assuming is not part of the dinner)

It depends whether or not you'll need to drain the poor dog for its blood while its still alive. I find the idea of causing more or prolonging the suffering of an animal that's about to be slaughtered quite disturbing, yes even if it means it might save the life of another animal.

Indeed - I was suggesting doing this in some sort of reasonably "humane" way under veterinary supervision (albeit that dogs are normally beaten to death in China - apparently it makes the flesh more tender). Presumably the cost isn't an issue for such a beloved pooch.

The cost isn't an issue, our transfusion alone cost $4000. How would you get a vet to go to Shenzhen and drain the blood from a product in a restaurant?

The same way as you get anything else in this town - offer them lots of cash.

Do you really want to put your 10 years old dog through this?

Quote Originally Posted by luvyanxx:
    The cost isn't an issue, our transfusion alone cost $4000. How would you get a vet to go to Shenzhen and drain the blood from a product in a restaurant?
    Is this a serious question? (I hope not.) No decent vet would put untested blood from an animal in China into a dog in HK. Leaving aside the trauma of draining a live animal of its blood, probably while it is awake, China dog blood can and and in may cases does carry diseases and parasites, which could cause all sorts of additional problems for an already sick dog. There is a somewhat lengthy quarrantine for dogs imported from China because animals there are rarely vaccinated and often disease carriers. My vet didn't think that you would even be able bring the blood across the border. He also thought it would be very illegal to try (contact AFCD for more info on animal biological products from China).

If you really need dog blood, my vet said it can be sourced locally by calling around to other vets, although it may take a couple days. If vets with blood supplies dont consider the case to be urgent and their supplies are low they are more hesitant to part with the blood.

I hope your sisters dog is doing better anyway.

If you read all my previous posts you would see that I am in fact against this option and I had already brought up the problem with contaminated blood...it wasn't a question that I thought would even be answered since I was being sarcastic.

My dog is anemic right now, and has been diagnosed with tick fever (Babesia). I need to know that people's dogs have lived through this and have bounced back 100%. I am so scared for my dog, since this is new to me. Does anyone have any information for me regarding this topic?