Urgent!! Dog Blood Donation Needed!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by mweber:
    My dog is anemic right now, and has been diagnosed with tick fever (Babesia). I need to know that people's dogs have lived through this and have bounced back 100%. I am so scared for my dog, since this is new to me. Does anyone have any information for me regarding this topic?
    my little schnauzer got tick fever and at first we didnt know what was wrong with him, he just layed there and didnt move much, didnt eat much so we took him to the vet and they did a blood test and told me I had to take my dog to the Wan Chai SPCA hopital, I was told that he might not make it and he nearly died, blood count went down to the 15's, had blood transfusion / test's all sorts and stayed in hospital for a week. luckily he survived and he's fine, when i got the bill I nearly died.

cmlg

Animal Blood Donars Databank

There is an animal blood donars databank in HK. It is organised by a local group "Society of Abandoned Animals".

http://www.saa.org.hk/public/content...tem%5fid=3264#

Mweber:

I know of several cases of dogs having tick fever around Parkview and Repulse Bay within the last month. I am happy to report that three of them are back on their feet after a pretty rough time, and a fourth affected dog just started eating again - a promising sign. One of our dogs also went through this last year and it was awful, but he recovered and is back to 100%. I can recommend a great vet who has quite a bit of experience with this disease if you don't already have one. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Hi all,

It has been some time since the last posting on this thread however I hope to get advice on my situation from your own experiences. Our vet believes our mini schnauzer may have Tick Fever but initial and secondary blood tests did not confirm this; only that she is anemic with a low red blood cell count. We've been given meds and told to come back in a week's time for a check up (or earlier if she gets worse.)

It's been just over 24 hours and she seems to be a bit better (knock wood!) however as a concerned owner I have been "googling" her situation. Some information also points her condition to IMHA (i.e. vaccinated recently with Heartgard & annual injections, her age and gender, PLUS explains why they could not confirm Tick Fever in the tests.)

I will discuss this with my vet in the aims of quickly confirming her condition to find a path forward, in the meantime I would welcome any thoughts on the below:

(1) Good vet/clinic recommendations, ideally in Kowloon or HK Island, who are experienced in IMHA and/or Tick Fever (my partner speaks Cantonese so language is not so much a barrier)

(2) An idea on costs involved if she does have Tick Fever or IMHA (e.g. meds, transfusions, hospital visits etc)

(3) Challenges in finding a blood donor (if it comes to that), apart from what we've seen on this thread

(4) Whether there are any vets in Hong Kong who use titer/titre tests to determine vaccination levels or have a 3 year vaccination policy?

Any additional thoughts or advice to prepare us for what may lie ahead would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks all in advance!

My dog also had the Babesia parasite. The animal hospital where we took him too had donors on site, the owner has two greyhounds that are on standby for emergency transfusions. And yes, dogs can make a full recovery, mine even had a replapse 4 months later that wasn't so severe.

Good to know - thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4