Like Tree12Likes

Apartment living for cats

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My cats are hooked on cat grass, I have a batch growing outside the window.
    They don't care much for store bought toys, they prefer paper towels which have been rolled into a ball! one of them loves to play fetch...
    Indoors is definitely fine for cats, as long as you keep them fed.
    Please adopt!

[QUOTE=dear giant;1765953] Being carnivores who instinctively hunted and killed (but who preferred commercial cat food to actually eating what they'd killed)

Instinctivey hunted. Yes! Your cats probably prefered commercial food rather than eating what they'd killed because they weren't hungry. Instinctive behaviour is chasing, catching, killing and eating prey but if they aren't hungry they'll only hunt, catch and kill. They won't get that opportunity living inside. That's my concern.

Tell you about an "inside"cat. There was some construction going on not far where we lived and the field mouse moved into our hose living in the insulation in the oven wall. Our cat was watching them run around, I could not believe my eyes! She could not care less would not chase them. They moved out after about a week, back to the paddock

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Koala:
    They moved out after about a week, back to the paddock
    which the field mice or the inside cat?

I have/had two cats and live in a village house. One has gone walkabout and haven't seen him for 5 months, the other never ventures out just stays indoors or cruises from our balcony to the one next door. Luckily the neighbours love cats too and their wiry little fighter comes over all the time.

The SPCA is a good place to adopt. Cats get all their shots and they get spayed when old enough....Really important especially if the cat goes wandering.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    which the field mice or the inside cat?
    They is more than one. Mice moved, cat stayed

Tell you about an "inside"cat. There was some construction going on not far where we lived and the field mouse moved into our hose living in the insulation in the oven wall. Our cat was watching them run around, I could not believe my eyes!
    ha I've totally seen that - the younger neighbours cat often brings live ones in! one time a mouse escaped from his jaws - and scurried under the book shelf..

( why oh why always when I'm just about to go to bed?)

I ended up taking half the book shelf apart - books every where - it scurried from one end to the other - was kind of cute at some point sticking its head out, and at one point it actually ran between the house cat's legs - who pawed pathetically at where it was about 2 seconds after...

eventually got a plastic bowl over the mouse and liberated it.....

Did not have the heart to kill the field mice, they had lovely light brown fur and cute eyes and the funny thing, they were not afraid of us. I don't even like to kill a fly but than I am a hypocrite as I eat meat?
    By the way, I have not seen a fly or mozy since we came to HK!

Did not have the heart to kill the field mice, they had lovely light brown fur and cute eyes and the funny thing, they were not afraid of us. I don't even like to kill a fly but than I am a hypocrite as I eat meat?
    By the way, I have not seen a fly or mozy since we came to HK!
    Have to spray my son with insect repellent before he goes to the local playground otherwise he gets bitten a lot by mossies.

Our first cat was an outdoors cat, and lived healthily for 19 yrs. Our kitty was mostly an outdoors cat back when we lived in the middle east, but gets stressed if he try to let him outside, and refuses to go out. He will sleep on our small balcony but won't go further than that. He loves the little stuffed grey mice you by from IKEA and anything that dangles from a height. My husband recently bought a new laser pointer - our cat goes wild chasing the red dot! He looks happy living in an apartment, likes to sleep on one of the window sills or keep watch out.

SPCA have many rescue cats and kittens waiting to be adopted. The main thing is that your cat is truly loved rather than the size of you apartment.