Like Tree4Likes

To bring or not to bring our Golden Retriever to Hong Kong from Thailand

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

To bring or not to bring our Golden Retriever to Hong Kong from Thailand

We are moving to the Gold Coast in the summer from Bangkok and are currently undecided as to whether to bring our lovely Golden Retriever with us. The biggest problem for us is the 4 month quarantine, as we are not sure how she will cope with the upheaval and she has been prone to getting hotspots when we go away, we think due to stress. We have to go back to England for 5 weeks before moving to HK, so during that period she would not have any visits from us. We are also concerned about what we have read on here about the quarantine carers not contacting a vet if your dog gets sick - it would be up to us to do it, but if we're not there, obviously we can't. Also, do you have to book/pay for visits to the quarantine facility?

The second concern for us is moving her from a large house and garden here to a much smaller apartment in HK. We will be working long days - do large dogs cope in apartments? Obviously we would need to get a helper who could walk her while we are out.

We have been quoted a way in via 2 weeks in Malaysia without need for quarantine - has anyone done this? Very costly and means an extra flight for the dog to cope with. She would then have to be in boarding kennels for up to 2 months until we arrive and find an apartment.

The upside is that she will have lovely country parks etc to run about in - here in Bangkok all dogs are banned from any parks, so walking is very limited. Plus the climate in HK would be better for her than here I think.

Is the Gold Coast a dog-friendly area?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy:
    Is the Gold Coast a dog-friendly area?
    No, the (HK) Gold Coast is managed by the Sino Group and they are not too keen on pets in their estates.

Are you moving to the GC area or GC Estates? Private renting or through Sino?

Lot of dogs at GC.

Gary's Labrador | Facebook

This guy sometimes brings dogs over from Malaysia. He's currently bringing a Lab over from there so I guess if he can't help you he might know the score....

I don't know him - I was introduced as I was looking for a Labrador or Golden Retriever puppy, I can simply see on his wall that last week he was discussing importing a dog from Malaysia.

Good luck!

Thanks for your replies. We don't know exactly where we will be living yet, but we will be in the Gold Coast area, near to the new Harrow School. Will having a pet vastly narrow our choice of apartments?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy:
    Thanks for your replies. We don't know exactly where we will be living yet, but we will be in the Gold Coast area, near to the new Harrow School. Will having a pet vastly narrow our choice of apartments?
    I don't think so - The Aegean Coast, for example, is pet friendly.......Lots of people don't mention it to be honest.

how long are you staying in HK for? and how old is your dog?

inmho - if there is someone who is able to take care of your dog there or in the UK for a longer period of time, the better for the dog rather than move him from place to place.

i know it would be good to have the dog with you where ever you are but if you are just to let a helper take care of him most of the time, wouldn't it better to have someone take care of him, give him attention and love him on a more permanent basis?

my last concern is how long you are staying in HK. I have know of many cases where expats leave HK for another country or to go back to their home town, they are unable to bring the dog with them due to a number of reasons like cost, old age, sickness, moving to a place where dogs are not allowed etc. sadly , unless their dogs are re-homed, the worst case scenario is that they are put down.

just saying... give a thought for your long term plans and if your beloved pet would be able to fit in your future plans

I would say keep your dog out of HK as much as possible, dogs aren't allowed in lots of places, including parks and harbours. There're a few dog-friendly parks in the entire HK that the government set up but it doesn't help the problem. It's a trip you have to make if you don't live close by. I live very close to the harbour in Hung Hom Kowloon, it has a nice view of the HK side, but I can't walk my dog there, yup in this day and age. It's just so senseless, so backwards, like lots of other things in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by moailin6413:
    I would say keep your dog out of HK as much as possible, dogs aren't allowed in lots of places, including parks and harbours. There're a few dog-friendly parks in the entire HK that the government set up but it doesn't help the problem. It's a trip you have to make if you don't live close by. I live very close to the harbour in Hung Hom Kowloon, it has a nice view of the HK side, but I can't walk my dog there, yup in this day and age. It's just so senseless, so backwards, like lots of other things in HK.
    So you live in the city and find you can't walk your dog? Why not live in the countryside where it is dog friendly? Much more to HK than Kowloon and Central you know...

Quote Originally Posted by moailin6413:
    No need to leep a dog out of HK for this reason. Move to the New Territories.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast