Like Tree4Likes

Dog through HK customs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dog through HK customs

OK, I'm bringing my dog from UK to HK. Doing it myself to help cut costs.

Does anyone know (or have experience) approximately how long it takes from a dog's plane to land to it being released through customs?

I've phoned HK airport's cargo terminal, and vaguely they said it takes approx one hour for the dog to get from the plane to the cargo terminal, then another hour or so for it to be released. Does this sound about right?

My problem is that the dog and I have to take separate flights. The missus and I had already booked with Cathays Pacific, but then found out that they don't take my breed of dogs, so I've had to book him into an earlier BA flight that arrives 2 hours before I do.

I've also been told that the cargo terminal have holding facilities for dogs for a couple of hours, this also right?

We brought our dog over almost 2 years ago. From the time our plane touched down, to getting him checked/vaccinated/microchipped/papers stamped, it was just under two hours. As long as your paperwork is in order, it should be smooth. We were told there was a "short term holding facility", but didn't have to use it.

Proplus likes this.

Excellent. I'll leave a note with the paperwork to say I might be an hour late at most (time to get off the plane, collect luggage, go through customs and then get lift to the cargo terminal).

Can I ask if the cargo terminal is far from arrivals hall or not?

Don't forget to take into account the unlikely event of a delay on your flight.

You'll probably arrive before your dog since BA flights are always delayed

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Excellent. I'll leave a note with the paperwork to say I might be an hour late at most (time to get off the plane, collect luggage, go through customs and then get lift to the cargo terminal).

Can I ask if the cargo terminal is far from arrivals hall or not?
    It's about a five minute taxi ride. You might want to hire someone with a van, especially if your dog is larger, to just transport the dog and crate. We have a 35 kg Golden, and it was easier to pick him up with the van, and get him to the final destination without taking apart the crate.

Quote Originally Posted by bugaboo:
    You'll probably arrive before your dog since BA flights are always delayed
    Based on when? Not on our several recent experiences

Quote Originally Posted by LolaG:
    It's about a five minute taxi ride. You might want to hire someone with a van, especially if your dog is larger, to just transport the dog and crate. We have a 35 kg Golden, and it was easier to pick him up with the van, and get him to the final destination without taking apart the crate.
    My dog + crate is spot on 15kg.

Is there a taxi terminal outside, or anyone with a phone number I can call a taxi? I need to take my dog to Lau Fau Shan. My uncle was supposed to take me, but apparently someone in the family has banned animals in the car...... >..< I've downloaded that taxi app on the iPhone, and it estimates the fare to be around HK$370.....does that sound about right?

Not all taxis will take the dog into the vehicle. U will need to seek their understanding over the phone beforehand. Otherwise for peace of mind, just book a pet taxi. Google and u should be to find some providers. Below hkd 500 one way usually.

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I know I'll have to tell them beforehand and pay a surcharge.

I saw the link by Bryant for a 'man with a van' link, might be a good alternative as I was thinking of stopping off at Yuen Long to pick up some dog food and such on the way.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast