Recommend a good dog trainer?

Closed Thread

Recommend a good dog trainer?

Hi Everyone, I recently got THE CUTEST puppy ever and she'll soon have had her second jab. After that we want to take her to puppy school. So far I've seen that the SPCA has one and there are one on one trainers. Can anyone recommend?

Also anyone have any experience with agility training in HK? I see there's a club but their site is only in Chinese. I'm interested in doing this when she's a bit older.

Here is a short list of HK based trainers. We used Rose Tang with the dog we adopted in HK and were very happy with her methods and knowledge.

Eddie Choi, Dog behaviour consultant, APDT (HKDR Volunteer Training Consultant)
    Email: [email protected] Tel: 63346559

Foster Wong, CPDT-KA, dog trainer (HKDR Volunteer Training Consultant)
    Email: [email protected] Tel:98507493

Rose Tang, Dog trainer and behaviour therapist
    Email: [email protected] Tel: 90462604

Believe that Pet Oasis out in Tuen Mun has an agility course, but not sure if they do agility training or not.
    Pet Oasis

I used SPCA for my husky when he was a puppy, the Ho Man Tin centre is quite hard to get to unless you drive or take taxi but that training was quite good and worth it even thought it wasnt one on one but infact a group but when they are puppies its good for them to interact as well with other puppies.

Last edited by wtbhotia; 28-03-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Awesome Thanks! That's very helpful, don't suppose you know anything I about pet insurance in HK? Vet bills seem pretty reasonable but wondering if its worth having her covered just in case. I'm quickly becoming one of "those" people who is obsessed with their dogs and want to make sure she's got the very best (does not extend to clothing and perfuming my dog)

Nah we didnt bother with insurance as I have 4 dogs, my schanuzer has been the sickest once out of the 10 years he's been with us and that time it cost me nearly 10K so If i had paid the yearly insurance fee of 2.4K per year or 3.1k per year after he was 8 years old, I am still way ahead

I would really bother with insurance unless you have a breed that you know has many problems.

check out this site for reference Apex Pet Care

Pets Central offers an insurance scheme, but I haven't used pet insurance in HK as the vet we use doesn't accept it.

Welcome to Pets Central

seconds - it is better to save some money aside per month for vet bills than to use insurance, especially when you have a puppy as they don't tend to need expensive treatment until they are older.
    Meanwhile, prevention is key, make sure you are giving your pup quality food and adequate exercise so they're not overweight (stress on the knees and back etc), also think about giving them fish oils as it helps their coat, joints and eyes....everything!

Last edited by SiuMaiTaiTai; 28-03-2012 at 05:28 PM.

hubby and i were just talking today about how little our two dogs have cost us over the 11 years we've had them. they're getting old now though, so i'm sure they will make up for it now.

our older dog has only been to the vet twice in 11 years for things other than her regular vaccinations etc.
    our younger dog, he's still 10 years old and a BIG dog, has only had to have his teeth removed under general anesthesia. he'll need to go in again soon for his last two teeth. he was a sickly pup, had distemper, but since he overcame that in our first few months together, he's been fit as a fiddle!

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    Here is a short list of HK based trainers. We used Rose Tang with the dog we adopted in HK and were very happy with her methods and knowledge.

Eddie Choi, Dog behaviour consultant, APDT (HKDR Volunteer Training Consultant)
    Email: [email protected] Tel: 63346559

Foster Wong, CPDT-KA, dog trainer (HKDR Volunteer Training Consultant)
    Email: [email protected] Tel:98507493

Rose Tang, Dog trainer and behaviour therapist
    Email: [email protected] Tel: 90462604

Believe that Pet Oasis out in Tuen Mun has an agility course, but not sure if they do agility training or not.
    Pet Oasis
    i second rose tang.

Canine Behavior and Training in Hong Kong

Dude lived in Ireland and Canada for over 30 years and just moved back to HK about 5 years ago so his English is good enough too. website is mostly in Chinese, but some parts are in English.