Like Tree6Likes

Petproject - very expensive - groupon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grey imports are products which have been imported outside of the normal distribution channel.
    For example, if you buy a new Sharp TV in HK which was originally sold in Japan, this is considered a grey import.
    Many businesses operate this model, expansys is one which does it for mobile phones.

How they make money: buy in cheaper markets, sell in more expensive markets.
    Obviously, they need to have a big enough margin between buy/sell to cover their logistics and other costs, but that's not our problem.

Pro (for the consumer): Lower prices
    Con (for the consumer): Warranty (some vendors, such as expansys, offer their own [shorter] warranty, generally the manufacturer warranty does not apply)

Nothing illegal about it, you just need to consider the cost of the risk you are carrying (i.e. much higher risk for a $4000 mobile phone than an $8 can of tuna)

SiuMaiTaiTai likes this.

frontline prices at APE - they should pay me for doing this..!

SiuMaiTaiTai likes this.

Thanks Robertempriere !

no worries, call me rob
    their catalog is decent, I just wish they could fix their website.
    I'm sure if you call and request a catalog they'll send you a copy

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere:
    Grey imports are products which have been imported outside of the normal distribution channel.
    For example, if you buy a new Sharp TV in HK which was originally sold in Japan, this is considered a grey import.
    Many businesses operate this model, expansys is one which does it for mobile phones.

How they make money: buy in cheaper markets, sell in more expensive markets.
    Obviously, they need to have a big enough margin between buy/sell to cover their logistics and other costs, but that's not our problem.

Pro (for the consumer): Lower prices
    Con (for the consumer): Warranty (some vendors, such as expansys, offer their own [shorter] warranty, generally the manufacturer warranty does not apply)

Nothing illegal about it, you just need to consider the cost of the risk you are carrying (i.e. much higher risk for a $4000 mobile phone than an $8 can of tuna)

Is that what the locals call a "water product"? I never knew what that meant exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    Is that what the locals call a "water product"? I never knew what that meant exactly.
    Eddy - Yes, that's what they mean by 水 貨 (approx. Cantonese pron. 'shui for'), which two characters literally mean 'water' and 'product/goods'.

Goods sold here that are not direct from local distributors, but brought via other channels from other countries, as Rob said. Doesn't always mean that these products are iffy (locals know the deal) but if, for example, they're big-ticket/electronic items, the warranty attached may not apply (i.e. DON'T)... So, if item needs service or repair in HK, you have to pay extra (OR send it back to country of origin). Something like that. (But I could be missing something, too.)

Update, petproject sent a $50 voucher for shopping with them, so I decided to compare their prices once more, this time with wellcome, I only compared one item:
    Wellcome:
    whiskas supreme - tuna with sea bream #851105 85gm each
    Buy 8 at $45.90 Avg$5.74 or $6.50 for one.

Petproject site shows $9.50

Conclusion: their "guarantee" for best price is rubbish

i have compared all the online pet shop's price and reliability. And i found that what makes "APE"'s products so cheap is that they sell grey products and products which are going to expire. I am currently using "Jpet" and "petproject" since they have coupons and their products are reliable. Jpet is the cheapest one. When i buy frontline, i will choose petproject since they have $25 coupon on any purchase.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2