Like Tree13Likes

Attn: Pet owners!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there
    And you would believe that on what grounds? ...
    Because it sounds like a typical sales tactic. Sell one product, add the client's name to the sales database then follow up regularly.
    Last edited by Alan Partridge; 21-05-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86
    It's amazing how much more attention abandoned dogs get than abandoned children (of which there are many in HK - My mother in law is fostering one for example)
    I think that might be due to what you hear instead of reality.
    Children get a lot of attention but this is mostly in Chinese circles; there are at least a dozen good organizations doing some great work (eg Po Leung Kuk)... In the English speaking community, I only know one such org and that is Mothers Choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Children get a lot of attention but this is mostly in Chinese circles; there are at least a dozen good organizations doing some great work (eg Po Leung Kuk)... In the English speaking community, I only know one such org and that is Mothers Choice.
    Ditto reputable dog breeders, now that I'm a member of HK lab club I know of several good breeders.....no English, no Gweilos!

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Spot on....In my experince there is much more attention on this outside the expat community.

It's a shame more expats don't make an effort to help out in one way or another. I guess it seems hard to do (I haven't really thought about it), and most are pre-occupied with making as much cash as posisble!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Your response appears to assume that all rescue dogs are mongrels, which, from what I hear does not appear to be true. It appears that there are plenty of different breeds in there, mainly due to HK owners being such irresponsible owners and buying a "pure breed" for some reason or other without knowing how much work a dog entails.
    The main reason we don't have one here is that I wouldn't want a dog with my travel/work commitments - not fair on the dog. Otherwise I'd have one (and a cat) in a heartbeat.
    No, I agree that is not at all the case. There are many, many purebred rescue dogs in HK also (and they do tend to get adopted much more quickly than the mixed breeds). One of our dogs has years of training as we wanted an animal around that had strong protecting instincts and was capable of "guarding" the home for lack of a better word. To be trained properly we needed the dog to be young and we didn't take the decision to purchase lightly. Our other dogs (adopted) are lovely but definitely don't have the personality or size to protect property (and of course there are ways around a dog...we've heard it before, but our dog has detered unwanted 'visitors' now on two occasions, just as we would expect it to). All I meant to say is that, in particular for working dogs (or companion dogs if you are looking for something in a certain personality), having a particular breed can matter. Again I do understand having a particualr breed doesn't guarantee a result, but it certainly makes it more likely if the dog is properly bred. There is a reason why you see so many beagles sniffing for agricultural products at US airports, alsations as guard dogs, various herding breeds working with different types of animals on farms, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Partridge
    Because it sounds like a typical sales tactic. Sell one product, add the client's name to the sales database then follow up regularly.
    As noted, she follows up to make sure we are holding up our end of the bargain (taking good care of the dog) and would not have another pup to for us even if we asked for one...This woman definitely does not breed for money. She could have sold our dog for many times what we paid for it, which basically just covered the cost of vaccinations, etc. What she is concerned with, as all good breeders should be, is the quality of home the dog has. This is pretty normal with larger animals in the US (horses in particular) but not so much with dogs and cats, unfortunately.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    now that I'm a member of HK lap dance club .....
    Let me correct this for you.

I knew it!
    bryant.english likes this.

If there were no puppies to sell there would be less to adopt. If there were less to adopt the pet market might see more for sale.

What's wrong with selling puppies? It's not like they're going to be eaten or anything... right?

Last edited by GeoDerek; 21-05-2012 at 04:48 PM.

lucky facebook doesnt allow users to 'dislike'.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Partridge

It's a shame more expats don't make an effort to help out in one way or another. I guess it seems hard to do (I haven't really thought about it), and most are pre-occupied with making as much cash as posisble!
    What absolute rubbish. There are plenty of expats involved in things like Oxfam Trailwalker, which raises money that Oxfam spends on kids (among other things) in various places or Unison (which raises money for disadvantaged ethnic folks in HK) or the people at Crossroads or the Rotary club whose draw Shri has been highlighting on here for many weeks. These are just the things I have seen or been involved in that sprang to mind given it a few second thought only. Painting all expats as money grubbing is just ludicrous.
    burrcl likes this.