Like Tree13Likes

Attn: Pet owners!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by GeoDerek
    If there were no puppies to sell there would be less to adopt. If there were less to adopt the pet market might see more for sale.

What's wrong with selling puppies? It's not like they're going to be eaten or anything... right?
    You seriously don't know what goes on behind the industry of "selling puppies"? Perhaps it would be better if they WERE going to be eaten because more care might be taken in their preparation and storage if the "meat" were affected.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    You seriously don't know what goes on behind the industry of "selling puppies"? Perhaps it would be better if they WERE going to be eaten because more care might be taken in their preparation and storage if the "meat" were affected.
    MIN07, a five minute drive from us is a family who keep and sometimes breed alsatians. The dogs have more space to run around than, I guess, 95% of the human population of Hong Kong.

Calling all dog breeders ad is no different to calling all expats money grabbing, you can't have it both ways.

I'm sure there are good breeders in and of themselves. That's not the point. The point is that breeding anything where the supply is already greater than the demand is bad for dogs in general. Every dog bred by these good breeders displaces one that might have been rescued. That unrescued dog is probably destroyed. For why? So "good breeders" can continue to breed?

Obviously they are not the only problem, happy to concede that. Lack of education, lack of space, lack of regulation - all contribute. But good dog owners can also help by refusing to "buy" dogs - eventually if the market dried up, the puppy farms would go bust and perhaps a sustainable solution with a mix of small, "good breeders" and less general ownership by dickwicks would surface. One can but hope.

But good dog owners can also help by refusing to "buy" dogs
    You didn't really think before typing then....jus' sayin'...!

I don't agree that good breeders shouldn't exist. There is a demand for certain dogs, and currently that gap is mostly filled by bad breeders. If good breeders can come in and offer the same (but better) and without fucking up any dogs then this competition is going to damage the bad breeders' business, and hopefully a couple of them will give up.

Either way, there will always be a demand for dogs that aren't abandoned, so the more good breeders the better imo.

Last edited by justjoe86; 21-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.

I'm sure there are good breeders in and of themselves. That's not the point. The point is that breeding anything where the supply is already greater than the demand is bad for dogs in general. Every dog bred by these good breeders displaces one that might have been rescued. That unrescued dog is probably destroyed. For why? So "good breeders" can continue to breed?

Obviously they are not the only problem, happy to concede that. Lack of education, lack of space, lack of regulation - all contribute. But good dog owners can also help by refusing to "buy" dogs - eventually if the market dried up, the puppy farms would go bust and perhaps a sustainable solution with a mix of small, "good breeders" and less general ownership by dickwicks would surface. One can but hope.
    MovingIn is right. "Breeders" have a inherent conflict - they are trying to make money out of creating and supplying dogs into a "market" that is oversupplied with dogs, and they are relying on ignorance of possible "buyers" in the hope of making a sale.

Here's a scenario - say you had a labrador breeder, selling dogs at say $5000 per dog. His is approached by a family who he knows for sure will provide a great home for a puppy. They have children, a large back yard, are experienced dog owners, and their last dog lived to 17 years of age and was a truely loved member of their family. But the family objects to the sale of dogs so are asking the breeder to give them one for free.

The breeder is also approached by a mainland couple, just moved to HK, live in an apartment, never owned a dog before, but they have decided they want a puppy because its cute. And they are willing to pay up to $50,000 to get "a good one".

Who does the breeder provide the dog to? If he truely cared about the best interests of the dog, he would provided it for free to the better owners. But of course he is motivated my money, so he will likely sell it to the second buyers in this scenario (perhaps trying to convince himself that he needs to be "compensated for the effort he put into breeding the puppy" or that "everyone has the right to own a dog".

Now contrast this with rescue organizations They try to home unwanted dogs (some of which have been discarded by the families such as in scenario two once the novelty wears off), and it costs them money to do this. They are not at all motivated by making a profit. Rather their motivation lies in the compassion of trying to find a better life for these dogs.

For every "pure breed" dog bought, there is a chance of a homeless and abandoned dog being rehomed lost. And further, for every "pure breed" dog bought, this acts as a validation for breeders that they can make money from this, and they will keep doing it.

When I see someone in HK with a nice dog, and I find out they paid money for it, I immediately feel the owner is ignorant, closed-minded, and selfish. Having said that I do know some pet-buyers, who whilst loving their dog, have come to realise that the pet sale practice is quite dispicable in a place like HK and in the future would opt for a rescue dog if they ever wanted to have another one.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1
    MovingIn is right.
    Here's what MIN07 says:

But good dog owners can also help by refusing to "buy" dogs - eventually if the market dried up, the puppy farms would go bust

Do you agree with this, or like me, do you see the oddly stupid and obvious flaw in her logic?
    Last edited by bryant.english; 21-05-2012 at 08:28 PM.

15K for a breed that looks like a mongrel puppy, I have found at least 6 that looked like the one on the site

still pressed the LIKE button

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4