Like Tree3Likes

Moving 2 cats from UK to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Have a read of my thread about taking my dog from UK to HK.

I thought I could do everything myself, and the dog went with BA. But it turns out, that on booking the flight with BA they automatically transfer you to a pet transport company that deals with the flight and all the paperwork. The company is called PBS.

Tell them your situation, and they will tell you clearly what steps there are.

The worst part about the whole thing is trying to find a cage that is IATA approved, and it seems manufacturers don't really put that on their cages, so you've got to research the requirements and find a cage that fits. Although it will cost more money, make sure you get a cage that complies with the size of your pets plus extra room, otherwise like me you will suffer extra stress when you get to the cargo terminal and be told the cage is too small... I had 30mins to find a bigger IATA approved cage, which PBS had one in their offices a few miles down the road.

Other than that, I have nothing but good words for PBS and really recommend it to others. The agent I dealt with via phone and email was called Emelye Bunny.
    Thanks for the rec! I was reading through BA's website yesterday - we are flying out of Aberdeen - there is no direct flight from Aberdeen to Hong Kong so the only choice is BA as we can't transit in any country of a lower "Group" than UK (only other option in Europe is Ireland!) BA doesn't deal with individuals wrt animals... only "pet transport agents" so I'll have to engage the service of one of them. Probably should give me more safe of mind but sometimes the "professionals" can be hopeless so I really must find someone who is sensible.

It's public holidays on Monday and Tuesday here in UK... So I'd emailed five companies only one had replied. They mentioned that the cats have to have rabies injection but according to what I read on the Hong Kong's AFCD website they actually don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Unsolicited:
    while we're on the topic i'd like to move a dog from the states.

any recs on that?

not to steal your thunder or anything catslave.

edit: my pet will actually be coming by plane with a relative, I'm just curious what sort of hardship she'll be facing once we get her here. any ideas on fees etc, quarantine?
    This might help you a little.
    AFCD Import of Dogs and Cats

CON US is amongst the "Group 2" countries/places so as richardintaipo said no quarantine is needed as long as you have done everything they said in there.

I'm not sure with cats, but with dogs into HK a rabies vaccination is not required as ALL dogs once arrived in HK is checked by customs and a rabies vaccination is given.

If you read my thread there is also mention on international microchipping.

If you want the number to PBS, gimme a holla and I'll post it up later.

Just want to clarify that my advice on the rabies vaccine was to unsolicited who asked about importing from USA. From USA, you definitely need the rabies vaccine as mentioned directly from the AFCD website
    "Certifying, with full details of vaccine(s): (i).è­‰æ˜Žè©²å‹•ç‰©åœ¨ä¾ æ¸¯å‰ä¸å°‘æ–¼ 30 天 亦不多於 1 å¹´é–“æ›¾æŽ¥å—ç‹‚çŠ¬ç —…免疫注 å°„ã€‚å€˜ç‚ºåˆæ¬¡æ³¨å „,è©²é ­å‹•ç‰©åœ¨æŽ¥å æ³¨å°„æ™‚è‡³å°‘è¦æœ‰ 90日大。that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies less than one year and more than 30 days prior to departure. In the case of primary vaccination the animal was at least 90 days old when vaccinated."

Proplus, I believe that you are advising that no rabies vaccine is required to import a dog from UK. correct?

Yes, as all dogs when they arrive in HK are given the rabies vaccine.

I have been trying to get the import licenses organised but it isn't possible to get the HK's VCDC1 form completed. Proplus how did you get that done?

The idiots at DEFRA told me that I only need to get the 3472EHC form filled by my vet and apply for export license and that's all I need. I asked them about import license they just told me to ask the Hong Kong side. Since I am supposed to ignore the VCDC1 form and the UK vets are only legally allowed to fill in the the UK health certificate (i.e. the 3472EHC) and that form is only supposed to be filled in 14 days before the animals are due to travel the timing just doesn't seems to work at all. Additionally the 3472EHC form also asks for the number of the import license - how is that supposed to work?

So say I actually asked a UK vet to fill in the 3472EHC form - send it to Hong Kong by normal post which takes 5 working days - the HK AFCD process the application for import license in 5 working days - have the import licenses sent back to UK which takes another 5 working days - that would be 21 days in total. Which means by the time I obtain the import licenses it would be 7 days too late. Which means the documents must either be sent via electronic means (which the AFCD might not accept) or use DHL/FedEx services (which is around £50 each way).

I am incredulous - do the people who create those forms have shares with DHL / FedEx?

Last edited by catslave; 30-06-2012 at 10:53 PM.

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/quara..._ipab_idc.html

You need to fill in the AF240 form. I haven't s clue about the VCDC1 form, I didn't need it.
    catslave likes this.

Thank you Proplus. So I don't need to show the AFCD a animal health certificate until the cats arrive in Hong Kong? And in that case I can just show the AFCD the 3472EHC and it will suffice?