Like Tree19Likes

A suffering chowchow

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

You said you did find a trainer to help, what kind of training method he/she taught you?

Very sad to hear this. Chow chows are generally very friendly dogs.

Dogs should be kept as part of the family, and not tied up, or left on a roof etc.

The dog may have mites or fleas which can be terribly itchy for him, so please take him to the vet. It's easy to treat.

As for biting of humans, dogs are inherently loving and gentle. So the biting was obviously caused by how he was treated in the past, and is usually done out of fear rather than deliberate aggression. With love, patience, and the right approach this behavioir can be corrected.

As others have said, be sure to walk the dog regularly. 2 to 3 times a day.

Please take this animal to a vet before you think of putting it down!

His biting is probably related to his skin condition. My cat had a skin problem and had severe behavioural issues until we resolved the problem (food allergy) and now is as good as can be.

Otherwise re-homing him would be preferable to ending his life, which is extremely drastic.

Stop feeding the dog that cheap food from Mainland China.

Thank you all for your concern and advice, especially Elliee. I already got in touch with CAF today and am waiting for their arrangement. Will update the outcome.

Eddie,
    The trainer suggested me to feed Cheese every meal in the presence of my son and daughter-in-law if I would like to help taking care of him.

Poor Cheese what a sad muddle of circumstance and neglect he finds himself in.

This is not trying to add to your problems but the ever popular Chow here is not a dog for heat and humidity.

I wish people would research the breeds they get first. In Hong Kong I see so many breeds that are completely unsuitable for the climate. It may come as a surprise to some but not even Pekingese are suitable to be walked for anything but the shortest time outdoors in summer.

Along with unsuitable long dense coats made for cold winters are long floppy ears as in Spaniel but also just completely folded ears as these are a sure fire way to incubate a constant ear infection, both mite and fungal that if not immediately seen to (mostly not caught in time or ignored) lead to ear damage, sores, fly strike and complete disaster. The heat but most importantly the combination of heat and humidity is what causes this. Prick ears are the best but any that allow a constant flow of air are suitable as are short haired sleek single coats. Longer open coats are fine as long as there is no undercoat as in a Husky's double coat a coat developed for extreme cold climates.

I wonder if along with the dangerous dogs "bill" there shouldn't be an "unsuitable breed for the territory" bill. Large mangy European and increasingly Caucasian and Northern Chinese long haired dog breeds in tiny stainless steel cages placed somewhere hot are more or less a norm in the new territory, it makes me feel sad and angry.

People will say they keep their dogs in air-con and exercise in the evening or shave the coat in summer etc but more often than not these dogs are neglected as the upkeep is constant and expensive. Even a shaved dog will need its undercoat thinned with constant stripping and shaving can lead to ingrown guard hairs when they try and grow out through a matted short undercoat leading to skin itchiness and sores and the whole downward spiral begins. Then these dogs have puppies and you bet you no breeder here tells buyers that the coat is completely unsuitable and will lead to problems.

It's simply cruel not to find a dog suitable for the climate, this must obviously be one of the first considerations when getting a dog.

bookblogger and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ant14:
    Longer open coats are fine as long as there is no undercoat as in a Husky's double coat a coat developed for extreme cold climates.

People will say they keep their dogs in air-con and exercise in the evening or shave the coat in summer etc but more often than not these dogs are neglected as the upkeep is constant and expensive.

It's simply cruel not to find a dog suitable for the climate, this must obviously be one of the first considerations when getting a dog.
    I have 3 of the breed you mention, I do the air-con and exercise in the early morning and evening thing, the upkeep is constant and expensive and I have no problems with that, cause of my dogs I spend a few grand on them monthly.

None of the huskies I have were bought, they were adopted but according to you its still cruel, Would you like me to put them down, please advise.
    SiuMaiTaiTai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hkprudence:
    Eddie,
    The trainer suggested me to feed Cheese every meal in the presence of my son and daughter-in-law if I would like to help taking care of him.
    Is that all???

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I have 3 of the breed you mention, I do the air-con and exercise in the early morning and evening thing, the upkeep is constant and expensive and I have no problems with that, cause of my dogs I spend a few grand on them monthly.

None of the huskies I have were bought, they were adopted but according to you its still cruel, Would you like me to put them down, please advise.
    I took ant's post to mean that it is cruel to breed or sold here in the first place (a valid point I think), not that they should be put down. Sounds like you do a great job for yours but not everyone follows your example unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi3:
    I took ant's post to mean that it is cruel to breed or sold here in the first place (a valid point I think), not that they should be put down. Sounds like you do a great job for yours but not everyone follows your example unfortunately.
    Ah humble apologies to Ant then If I misread it, I'm on Friday dont give a sh!t mode

I do understand that not everyone follows my example and wished they all did but being married to a Super Dog Lover makes it easier. I see sometimes very large Furry dogs being walked during lunch time in this heat and sun and find them very stupid, not sure what breed it is but its larger than a chowchow or even my huskies and the amount of fur on it makes me sweat just by looking at it.