Help! Moving my pet!

Closed Thread

Help! Moving my pet!

I am moving to Hong Kong with my dog (a beagle), i have been doing all the research online these 4 months.

I am not quite stuck in the flying part. I would like some suggestion on that.

Since we're in Seattle, there's no direct flight from here to Hong Kong, we have to either transit to SFO or LAX. At first, we was thinking to go with Cathay and we'll drive down there with a rental car. But Cathay's ticket is more expensive.

Then we kind of decided to go for United, the problem for us is that we might not be able to go on the same airplane with my dog.

So, we were thinking if we're going to ship her as cargo anyways, we might as well NOT taking the same airline with my dog. Since we are on an EXTREMELY TIGHT BUDGET, if we go for Air Canada or some other airline that connects flight in some other country, our ticket will be a lot cheaper.

So here's some of my question! If you have experience doing that, please give me advice on logistic!

If we're not staying on the same airplane,
    Our flight leaving at 9:30am in Seattle, the Cargo facilities open at 5am, anyone think it's enough time to check in both my pet and myself?

Also, since I am not traveling on the same plane with my dog. I am supposed to have some affidavit by the pilot stating that my dog is on a direct flight from USA to Hong Kong without stopping in another country. I asked someone from UA, they said they've never heard of it, and since all their flights are directly to hong kong, they said I don't need it. But again, it's the hong kong government's regulations, not too sure if they even care about what airline I use.

One more thing, if we're not on the same plane, I won't be able to pick her up in the airport in the same time, i'll either be later or earlier than her, hopefully earlier. But if I arrive later, would the Cargo let her stay in the cargo faciilites until I arrived?

Lastly, when I picked up my dog from the cargo, what document I need? Will they obtain my special permit when I ship her out or I can keep it to show them on arrival? I was thinking maybe my family in Hong Kong will be able to pick her up if I'm not there yet, but I don't know what they need to have in order to do so.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME TO READ MY LONG LONG MESSAGE!!!!
    Any help is appreciated!
    And I saw number of people use an agent to ship pet for them, can anyone tell me how much it cost ? whether over a thousand us dollars or below?

thanks!

Check your private messages.

Short answer is that you want to arrange for an agency to do the pick up in HK, expecially if you are not going on the same flight, and your flight will not be direct. If the dog gets left in the cargo terminal (because you are not there to get it because your flight is late) it will end up at the government animal management facilities, which is absolutely no good.

Last edited by hello_there; 07-12-2007 at 06:35 PM.