Like Tree30Likes

2 dogs put down in my village in the last 2 weeks

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

And the villagers come out and look at who the dogs are barking at and tell the dog off. Seriously I have lived here for 2 years and have not had a problem.

I have walked past other villages with my dogs and have had a pack running after me. I am not advocating that.

I just re-read your original post and now you have presented a different situation...? You even said you were scared for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyaki:
    Packs of dogs roaming around attacking people, or overly aggressive dogs that attack without provocation yes, but these are dogs in private areas where other people have very little reason to pass by.
    Alleyways are not private areas.
    carang likes this.

The second dog yes but it didn't roam away from his front garden. The first roamed but was never aggressive except when I walked into his alley. I'm not saying these dogs are not scary. But they are just guarding their territory. As I said both these digs are way past their prime, and it's a newcomer who has caused these dogs to be put down. I can't tell you that these dogs have been microchipped, vaccinated for sure but they have ways been well fed, cared for and bathed so I have jusy assume that they have.

@tony: you seem to be under the impression that this is an 'cityfolk vs villagers' issue, with scared box-dwellers simply not understanding how dogs operate. A good number of people on these forums are from countries where dog ownership is commonplace, and are not afraid of dogs.

I'm not afraid of dogs- I've grown up with them around, I've taken care of a large German Shepherd. I'm good enough with dog psychology that I can usually dominate most village dogs when there are only one or two of them.

The difference is that we're also accustomed to the idea of the owner being responsible for the behaviour of the dog. If a dog is constantly threatening and aggressive, then the owner should be held to account for this. And the owner is responsible for ensuring that the dog isn't in a position to be of danger to the public.

He was co-owned by several of the villagers and well looked after. He roams certain parts of the village but mostly he stays in his alleyway which was a dead end, and there were only a few houses at the end of that alleyway which he guarded. On one occasion when i approached his alleyway, him and his buddy, another largish looking dog charged me barking, but he stopped when he realised it was me.
    The dogs that you describe don't seem to have an owner ('people that feed him' do not count as owners). They are clearly aggressive and are wandering around in a public space. Alleyways through villages are not private areas, even if those alleyways lead into dead ends.

Suggesting that people put up with aggressive dogs as it's traditional village life makes about as much sense as suggesting that people put up communal latrines and kerosene lamps.
    Last edited by jgl; 28-08-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    carang, Tanae and SiuMaiTaiTai like this.

@ Tonyaki But how do you know it was a "newcomer"? How do you know the dog didnt attack the "newcomer"?

appreciate you are upset, but maybe you should adopt these dogs you care about. ie - keep them on your property.. walk them etc - dont let them roam around and annoy people!

incidentally is it illegal to let a dog roam with out a lead? large dogs muzzled?

I'm not saying I agree with it, actually I personally dont mind meeting dogs off leashes on hikes etc - as long as there is a responsible owner within sight/ earshot.. and dogs loose on hikes are generally curious as opposed to territorial..

I have witness "gormless" behaviour when people unfamiliar with dogs meet them, waving hands/ running do nothing but get dogs excited!

bookblogger and carang like this.

I think I know which dog your talking about, well one of them, the large black dog with very white paws, he did have a partner exactly looking the same but I think without white paws, he was taken a while back and put down because I heard he bit someone, now that you mentioned it, I havent seen the white paw dog in a while, he usually roamed with a smaller black dog, that I see is still around.

The white paw dog roamed everywhere, usually with the Old women but most times without her, they would roam all the way to the Kindergarten on mang kung uk road, they were never microchipped or vaccinated, those people will never spend money on these things, the dog used to be friendly but once it started partnering up with the smaller black dog, it started getting aggressive even when I walked past with my pack, never used to happen before, he's felt my whip a few times, I see more and more people moving in to our village, some have small dogs they walk in the evenings and having large dogs roaming around with no leash can be scary for them.

I've seen the AFCD van at the top a few times, if the dog isnt chipped or hasnt got a collar I think they take em away.

Last edited by wtbhotia; 28-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.

@audiot: Gormless behaviour is to be expected in HK where even amongst owners, dogs are generally seen as cute fashion accessories (I hold up the dog shoes and ownership of huskies as two examples).

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    dogs are generally seen as cute fashion accessories (I hold up the dog shoes and ownership of huskies as two examples).
    I have 3 of them Huskies that you speak of and no way are they fashion accessories, they are eating, pooping + destroying monsters. They were very cute when they were puppies, well all dogs are cute when they are puppies but they all grow up to be some kind of monsters.