Like Tree11Likes

Single woman moving with 2 dogs...help!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

here is George's website: International Pet Travel - About IPT

If you end up living in happy valley, i would highly recommend dr Kenda of valley vet

Mini Huskies, hadnt heard of that until today, did a quick google check and they do look cute, 16lbs each, they'll be easy to handle in HK, mine are normal size huskies, well one of them looks like a pig instead of a dog and weighs closes to a 100 lbs.

Like what Carang said, walk them early and in the evenings, turn on a small 3/4hp ac during the day if you go to work at summer times and they will be fine, dont walk them during midday in the summers heat for long periods.

My dogs woke me up quite early today, i shouted at them "Its sunday FFS ", they just gave me a blank stare, took them to Hang Hau to have a long stroll around on the cycle path which is a nice walk, 1 1/2 hrs, the sun started to blare down so we quickly got back into the car and head home, I was the driver and the dogs in the back enjoying the leather seat, separate air conditioning, dual LCD TV's. I wonder who has a better life???? They even got a Large T-Bone steak (Boiled) each for dinner last night by the misses, wheres as all I got was Yeung Chau Fried Rice

Deedeet, which location will you be working, are your working hours long, what is the maximum time you can handle commuting to work each way, what is your housing budget.

When you get to HK, have a look around some areas 1st, I wouldnt live in Happyvalley but thats just me, maybe we can recommend something better if you provide the above info.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Dr David @ Creature Comforts makes house calls and is fantastic. he also has a clinic and 24 hour pet hospital in island east.

he just pulled one of our client's dogs through from the brink of death. no exaggeration. the dog contracted leptospirosis and was on death's door for over two weeks. the dog was released to go home about a week ago.

Good Luck, bringing your dogs to HK....China on the whole is not the most dog friendly country in the World...

I live in Quarry Bay and is just about to bring my JR over from the UK, having looked around HK for 2 months where to live i decided Quarry Bay, as that is where the company initially put us up. Seems to be a lot of dogs here and Tai Tam is lovely place to walk dogs in. We found an apartment with a roof terrace and close to MTR, which is handy, I work in Kwun tong so that was important to make an easy commute. I looked in Happy valley as it was recommended as dog friendly, however, found it very busy. I also found it hard to find an apartment with an outdoor space for a reasonable price i must add, I dont have a housing allowance. Anyhow, best is that you come over w/out your dogs and find your place where you would want to live which is convenient for you and your dogs.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by luluslair:
    I live in Quarry Bay and is just about to bring my JR over from the UK, having looked around HK for 2 months where to live i decided Quarry Bay, as that is where the company initially put us up. Seems to be a lot of dogs here and Tai Tam is lovely place to walk dogs in. We found an apartment with a roof terrace and close to MTR, which is handy, I work in Kwun tong so that was important to make an easy commute. I looked in Happy valley as it was recommended as dog friendly, however, found it very busy. I also found it hard to find an apartment with an outdoor space for a reasonable price i must add, I dont have a housing allowance. Anyhow, best is that you come over w/out your dogs and find your place where you would want to live which is convenient for you and your dogs.

FYI, Dogs are not allowed in most of Quarry Bay's buildings (especially the ones managed by SWIRE).

For this reason, you won't find any pet shops, no vet, pet clinics and worst of all dogs can't be walked in the whole area including Taikoo place, Taikoo SHing and Quarry bay Park).

Besides Discovery Bay, I think Park Island in Ma Wan is about the most dog friendly place you can get and with just a ferry ride from Central. The other option is to move to a village house somewhere further out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I agree. Bringing huskies to hong kong is animal cruelty.
    not so. when i take my dog to the dog park in aberdeen i see huskies regularly, and they are perfectly happy.

my family used to breed huskies in florida (also tropical climate) and there were no issues. Huskies do shed a lot in hot weather, but that is a nuisance for an owner, not something a husky will suffer from.

when it comes to dogs (and everything else) everyone has an opinion. to put it in perspective, it'll be easier to relocate two dogs to hk than to find two spots at schools for two kids. but people bring their kids here all the time, and find school spots.

if your huskies have never been in an urban environment they'll probably be nervous at first, but with two of them they'll help each other adjust.

people may say hk isn't dog friendly but the dog owning community in hk is a tight and friendly community; always willing to help each other out.

whatever you do, don't leave your dogs behind. thats my 2p, anyway.
    elliee and Watercooler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by richardintaipo:
    Yes, HK is hot and humid and people as well as animals will suffer from the subtropical climate. I moved from the US with my 2 100lb+ german shepherds and they are doing just fine. In fact, they have less stomach problems here than in the USA--I guess they must like the local Chinese food!

I used Ferndale Kennels in Sai Kung for the relocation, everything went very smoothly, they have their own boarding facilities and the prices were competitive with other quotes I received.

In the community that I live in, I have seen 4 huskies out while walking my dogs.

As for the vet and emergency care, it depends on what area in HK you are moving to
    Well, there is the other half of the year where HK is relatively cool and dry. Like right now, when the weather is beginning to cool off a bit and that oppressive summer humidity is no longer around.

Obviously, if OP suddenly bring them over in July or August and immediately proceed to give them a strenuous hike in the middle of the day, the huskies will not adapt well (and will probably die from heatstroke). But if you plan beforehand on how and when to bring the dogs over, then it can work fine.The key thing is acclimatization for your dogs. Best to bring them over in the winter months than gradually let them adjust to HK's weather. That is how some of my friends brought over their samoyeds (and I have even seen a few malamutes around in HK).

Remember, a husky's coat is designed to keep them cool as well as to keep them warm. I've seen some dogs with their coat totally shaved off in the summer. Not only does it make the dogs ugly, it may hamper their heat regulation as well.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 18-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.