Like Tree11Likes

Trip to the beach - with dogs!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

"...are there many steps?"

Just beside HK Sea School therebr approx 10 + 10 steps with a metal railing. Restrooms on ur right going down.

Quote Originally Posted by debora2:
    "...are there many steps?"

Just beside HK Sea School therebr approx 10 + 10 steps with a metal railing. Restrooms on ur right going down.
    Thanks Debora

Definitely do-able so will plan a Sunday outing for my lad, for a change of scene

Most of the beaches on Lantau are 'dog friendly' in the sense that they're quite large and you're fine as long as you go a little way down the beach from the lifeguard where he can pretend he can't see you (or anywhere you like if its not busy). Pui O and Cheung Sha for example have always been fine in my experience and of course all the smaller beaches without lifeguards.

The Hong Kong-side lifeguards tend (in general, in my experience) to be a bit more uptight because people are more likely to complain in the posher areas. Lifeguards will stop people with dogs at Shek O beach for example, in my experience. Of course, after the lifeguards go home in the evening everybody takes their dog on the beach. There is a small rocky beachy bit down the arse end of Shek O where you can take your dog during lifeguard hours.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Most of the beaches on Lantau are 'dog friendly' in the sense that they're quite large and you're fine as long as you go a little way down the beach from the lifeguard where he can pretend he can't see you (or anywhere you like if its not busy). Pui O and Cheung Sha for example have always been fine in my experience and of course all the smaller beaches without lifeguards.

The Hong Kong-side lifeguards tend (in general, in my experience) to be a bit more uptight because people are more likely to complain in the posher areas.
    Nothing to do with being "posh" but more to do with not wanting their kids playing with dog crap in the sand!
    Fiona in HKG, carang and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Nothing to do with being "posh" but more to do with not wanting their kids playing with dog crap in the sand!
    Best to avoid the Lantau beaches with the kids then - the dog owners are not generally an issue as we clear up after our hounds, should they heed the call of nature. But nothing we can do to stop the stray dogs and the wandering cattle both of which being socially disadvantaged clearly can't read the signs telling them to keep off the beach, and not being posh use it as their toilets.

Sadly many of the human users of the beach leave the place in a terrible state. Daytrippers discard not just litter and left overs on the beach, (despite plenty of bins that they can't avoid walking past when leaving) but also the broken toys, mats, inflatables etc that they bought to enhance their beach experience. Users of the bbq pits also seem to be blind to the bins and prefer to leave their leftovers and empties in situ. This seems to be considered totally acceptable.

Helpful guide for those who want to avoid dog friendly beaches and parks:

http://www.woofguide.org/en/listings/8
    Last edited by AIP; 20-09-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    carang and Fiona in HKG like this.

AIP, I agree that humans can sometimes leave the beach like a tip, this is also unacceptable and I never said otherwise. I have often called after people who have left litter and told them they have "forgotten something". And it's nice that you are one of the people that does clean up after their pet Shame that in all the "No ----" signs there isn't one for no littering!
    Thank you for the link.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kath hk:
    Thanks, Cwbguy!

Please keep the recommendations coming!

Two more questions - I read that dogs are allowed on slow ferries to outlying islands (like Mui Wo), is that true? Also, is muzzling them necessary? Has anyone been ok on a ferry without muzzles?
    You are allowed to bring dogs on board the 'ordinary' ferries only. Dogs must be on a leash, but no need for muzzling. I take my cat in his carrier and have to pay about $14.50 for 'live freight' between Central an Mui Wo. I've seen ppl bring their dogs on board the ordinary ferries often between Mui Wo and Central and DB no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    You are allowed to bring dogs on board the 'ordinary' ferries only. Dogs must be on a leash, but no need for muzzling. I take my cat in his carrier and have to pay about $14.50 for 'live freight' between Central an Mui Wo. I've seen ppl bring their dogs on board the ordinary ferries often between Mui Wo and Central and DB no issues.
    There is a desginated dog zone on the DB ferries (inside front on the larger ferries and upstairs outside on the smaller ferries).

No charge but you are required to fill in a form to hand in prior to passing through the turnstiles.

You are required to muzzle your dog the entire time from when you pass through the turnstile to when you exit from the gangplank at the other end. Some staff turn a blind eye if you remove the muzzle during the trip but not when embarking or disembarking, in particular. Other staff enforce the muzzle on rule at all times.

The designated pet areas on the larger ferries are also the preferred seating for people with prams as they have a spacious area where the pet is to sit, and you do sometimes have to battle with them a little to get them to move if they get there before you

My boy really loves swimming no matter at beach or at the swimming pool. I usually bring him to shek O. I live in Tuen Mun, there is a beach near Gold Coast have no lifeguard.

bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyiu:
    My boy really loves swimming no matter at beach or at the swimming pool. I usually bring him to shek O. I live in Tuen Mun, there is a beach near Gold Coast have no lifeguard.
    Peridot, it's great...