Like Tree9Likes

Dog poisonings update

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HomatHK:
    Actually, my dog was the recent victim.
    1) Were you (or vet) able to determine what the poison was?

2) Its not clear from original post nor from your post : Is the dog dead or has it recovered?

how hard is it to train a dog to sniff out rat poison?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:

2) Its not clear from original post nor from your post : Is the dog dead or has it recovered?
    HC, the poster stated "why he died"...
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    As an aside, could someone explain to me what on earth this is supposed to achieve? I simply don't get it.
    Gruntfuttock, perhaps it is not going to achieve anything at all! LOL! I was told urine is not dirty. I thought water away the peed could relief the smell if it is going to leave any, that's all!

As an aside, could someone explain to me what on earth this is supposed to achieve? I simply don't get it.
    Dilutes the p** so it is spread out, doesn't smell quite so bad and gets washed away easier.

Even if it doesn't achieve those objectives, I guess it at least demonstrates that you are trying to clean up. You can hardly run after the dog and collect its urine.

[QUOTE=HowardCoombs;2190166]1) Were you (or vet) able to determine what the poison was?

HowardCoombs, it just happened like within 15 minutes of him eating the cake, so the vet believed it was poison although we didn't do any autopsy.

Thanks SataySue. Though I wished it was just something he could recover.

If you use a sufficient amount of water (perhaps with a bit of white vinegar in it) it will wash the urine off a hard surface - lamp post, planter box, fence, etc. - and help control the odour. I don't routinely do this as my dog, a female, will only squat and pee on dirt and refuses to relieve herself on concrete or other hard surfaces. But there are plenty of smelly lamp posts, etc. around where i live from dogs repeatedly lifting their leg on them and infrequent rinsing or washing of the surfaces. It isn't necessary or even helpful all the time, but it can help keep surfaces that dogs pee on less smelly in some cases.
    HomatHK likes this.

Never got the water thing as Grunt said. Does not achieve much in my opinion except that because some dog owners believe it's clean, they let their dogs urinate about anywhere....

[QUOTE=HomatHK;2190330]

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:

HowardCoombs, it just happened like within 15 minutes of him eating the cake, so the vet believed it was poison although we didn't do any autopsy.

Thanks SataySue. Though I wished it was just something he could recover.
    So very sorry to hear your heart-wrenching story
    HomatHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elliee:
    If you use a sufficient amount of water (perhaps with a bit of white vinegar in it) it will wash the urine off a hard surface - lamp post, planter box, fence, etc. - and help control the odour. I don't routinely do this as my dog, a female, will only squat and pee on dirt and refuses to relieve herself on concrete or other hard surfaces. But there are plenty of smelly lamp posts, etc. around where i live from dogs repeatedly lifting their leg on them and infrequent rinsing or washing of the surfaces. It isn't necessary or even helpful all the time, but it can help keep surfaces that dogs pee on less smelly in some cases.
    It's hard to find a green patch or dirt for dogs to relieve themselves in this city. Our nine-y.o. dog from Japan had hard time when he first came to HK as he grew up with green patches and trees. Nevertheless, even on Bowen where our dogs peed into green and bushes, we still water any possible spot just for eliminating/ or at the very least diluting the smell as I thought no one would like to walk through a place that smelled pee everywhere.

As useless or pointless as most people would think, we hope at least they would appreciate the thought of ours and live harmoniously with our love for dogs.
    elliee likes this.