Where to take dogs????

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Taxis do take dogs. No crate required. There is a small surcharge. Some drivers are afraid of dogs and prefer not to take them. I think that they "legally" have to, but if a driver really objects its pretty easy to find another cab. I usually bring a small cloth or towel when we take cabs and quickly wipe down the seat/ any drool when getting out. The drivers seem to appreciate this.

Dogs are also permitted on most ferries. They have to sit outside and technically must be muzzled. The muzzle requirement is enforced in varying degrees. I usually just keep the real muzzle in my backpack and put a gentle leader or halti on the dogs head, which usually works. Never had a muzzle before moving here. They can be picked up pretty cheaply from any of the pet stores on Cannon St. in Causeway Bay. I think they can also be ordered from
    Noblepetshop.com.

Last edited by hello_there; 17-12-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Thank you so much! That was very helpful! I didn't want to start waving at taxis to pick up the dog and me and have them all just drive by. Are there any good dog parks in the Peak area? Or is Kowloon side and the other islands the best place to go?

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    Dogs are also permitted on most ferries. They have to sit outside and technically must be muzzled.
    True, but I would debate "most". On many routes most of the ferries are sealed "fast" ferries. Dogs are only allowed on the slower "ordinary" ferries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericab32:
    Are there any good dog parks in the Peak area? Or is Kowloon side and the other islands the best place to go?
    There are lots of places to take dogs on HK Island, particularly if you live on The Peak - dogs may run freely within the Country Park areas, which includes quite a bit even of HK Island. Outside the country parks you need to keep them on a leash and have the "poop scoop" with you.

Thank you so much! That was very helpful! I didn't want to start waving at taxis to pick up the dog and me and have them all just drive by. Are there any good dog parks in the Peak area? Or is Kowloon side and the other islands the best place to go?
    Victoria Peak Garden is a great place for dogs. Lots of grass for running. Technically I think dogs should be leashed there, but its pretty big and can usually find places without other people around. Also see dogs off the leash there all the time.

The Peak Hong Kong

There is also a walk (called the Peak Trail I think) that starts near the Peak Galleria and goes in a nice loop. Takes about an hour, and has some nice views of the city.

Tai Tam Country Park and Pok Fu Lam Country Park (close to the Peak) on HK island have lots of good hiking and running spaces for dogs. Off leash is fine as long as the dog is "under control". Some areas get a bit crowded on the weekends and we've encountered a few dogs that were not "nice" and were unleashed, but other dogs are generally not a problem. I'm not as familiar with the other country parks but am sure they are also nice.

Oh, not sure if you're aware, but on Bowen Road and Blacks Link (near Mid-levels East and a nice, car-free walking area) there have been a number of dog poisonings (many fatal) over the years (including recently). I think its poisoned meat or something so if walking there watch out. Sai Kung also had a couple dog poisonings a few months back, but not sure if it is a long term problem there.
    Last edited by hello_there; 17-12-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Can they go in taxis??
    Yes.

If so do they have to be in a crate or just on a leash?
    No need for a crate, try not to piss on the seat, though.

And that goes for the dog too.

Also, are they allowed on the ferries??
    Yes, with some restrictions, e.g. only on the slow ferry to Mui Wo not the fast ferry.

Thank you!
    You're welcome.

Regarding the parks, as well as country parks and official dog parks, which are great, for more everyday exercise you can also take your dog to any ordinary park, basketball court etc. for a run around early in the morning or after 11 at night (ie before or after LCSD security are working). My local basketball pitch becomes a dog playground as soon as the floodlights go off at around 11 and the basketball players go home, many local owners take their dogs there.

There are also many unofficial 'dog places' where owners will meet and let their dogs run around, often quiet, dead end streets near, but outside, the parks. You'll soon find out where the local places are in your area.

Thank you all for the great advice... I took our dog in a taxi up to the Pok Fu Lam park and he had a great time.. I couldn't seem to find the Victoria Gardens, but I probably just didn't walk around enough.... I also tried out Bowen Road.. I have heard about the poison which is scary.. but I live on Bowen, so its just so convenient.. I guess I will have to be very careful.. but thank you for all the other options.. All great to know.. Happy Holidays everyone.