Like Tree51Likes

Aggressive dogs owned by aggressive people

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

This is not a local/western/expat issue. This is simply a Hong Kong issue. The overwhelming majority of Hong Kong residents have no business owning a dog due to lack of space and lack of time to spend with dog. Dogs need open space, grass and time spent walking and running. The Hong Kong lifestyle just isn't very conducive to that. Too many people living on the 38th floor of a tiny flat owning a dog that seldom gets walked or played with.

Here's a clue.... if you can't even find grass for your dog to pee on, you probaly shouldn't own one. Using a water bottle to dilute the urine on the sidewalk is probaly a clue you live in an area that isn't very dog friendly.

I'm honestly surprised most block towers allow dogs, but they do. It just not a good environment for a dog in most cases.

Last edited by closedcasket; 21-12-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanae:
    I've had two incidents where I've blocked a dog from attacking (and I mean the thing was feral!) my dog and the hysteria which followed. One woman even went so far as to phone the police (She should've be charged for wasting police time IMO) accusing me of kicking her dog. I blocked the advancing gnashing teeth with my foot. Big difference between blocking and kicking. Anyway, what to do...? Do you stand around risking your dog being bitten and possibly paying for a vet visit as a result, or do you intervene and risk an encounter with the long arm of the law? Seriously people...if you've had this unpleasant experience, what did you do?
    If any dog lunged at me or my pet, I would have wound up for a field goal and kicked the dog's head off. You are within your right. BTW, dog owners are strictly liable for the actions of their dogs. If the dog lunged at you, you have the right to kick it. its a dog, not a human and it does not comprehend what you or anybody else is doing if it is acting aggressively and the owners seems unable to control it. you do not have to wait until you are bitten.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    This is not a local/western/expat issue. This is simply a Hong Kong issue. The overwhelming majority of Hong Kong residents have no business owning a dog due to lack of space and lack of time to spend with dog. Dogs need open space, grass and time spent walking and running. The Hong Kong lifestyle just isn't very conducive to that. Too many people living on the 38th floor of a tiny flat owning a dog that seldom gets walked or played with.

Here's a clue.... if you can't even find grass for your dog to pee on, you probaly shouldn't own one. Using a water bottle to dilute the urine on the sidewalk is probaly a clue you live in an area that isn't very dog friendly.

I'm honestly surprised most block towers allow dogs, but they do. It just not a good environment for a dog in most cases.
    I tend to agree….but then there is Paris. Albeit they have more parks and open areas, as well as larger apartments………….maybe Hong Kong needs shit sucking motorcycles too.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    If any dog lunged at me or my pet, I would have wound up for a field goal and kicked the dog's head off. You are within your right. BTW, dog owners are strictly liable for the actions of their dogs. If the dog lunged at you, you have the right to kick it. its a dog, not a human and it does not comprehend what you or anybody else is doing if it is acting aggressively and the owners seems unable to control it. you do not have to wait until you are bitten.
    That's the kind of testosterone fueled over reaction that get people into fights. You can certainly get in trouble for killing a dog that hasn't yet bitten you. That's a bit like saying you're entitled to shoot or punch someone if they look mean enough.

There is a middle ground that civilized people would use before resorting to violence.
    Last edited by gilleshk; 21-12-2012 at 09:32 PM.

F.A.O. gilleshk:

When is it okay to defend yourself against behaviour that is unpredictable? Packy_crusher is not talking about people whose aggression you can respond to with submission (handing over your cash, jewellery and what have you).

When is it okay to defend yourself against such unpredictable behaviour? After you, your dog or your child has been bitten? Would it have to draw blood before you can shove (kick) the animal away?

dear giant likes this.

There's a big difference between drop kicking a dog's head and shielding your dog/child and maybe pushing the dog away firmly if the owner doesn't reign the dog as he/she should. As I said, there's a middle ground between firmness and barbaric violence.

If a rude person tries to go into the MTR, you can either push them firmly out of the way or simply prevent them from doing that they want. Or you can be the macho brute and kick them in the nuts or punch them in the face. Is it the same? I have no sympathy for the dog owner that fails to control a dog however one doesn't need to act like a troglodyte from the middle ages.

There might be instances where more force is obviously needed but as a rule if a dog is with an owner, it's not overly vicious, they simply lack discipline and such overt violence is likely to result in more trouble. If you were to kill that dog and all he did was come towards you barking, you better hope that dog owner is either smaller than you or more civilized not to mention that without any evidence of attack, the other owner would be in a better legal position.

Last edited by gilleshk; 21-12-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanae:
    Has anyone encountered local Chinese dog owners with aggressive dogs who, upon trying to stop their aggressive dog attacking your dog (for example you blocking the dog from getting to your dog my whichever means) gets verbally attacked by the owner who claims their dog is "only playing" and that you've abused their dog?

If the dog is only "playing", then why the hysteria is trying to stop the dog?

I'm certainly not going to stand back and watch my dog get subjected to aggressive behaviour from another dog when the owner makes no attempt (except to stand there screaming) to stop the aggression.
    A couple of months ago I came home from work and there was one of the local wannabes with his aggressive dog, off the lead as usual.......anyway, it came running up to me as I got out of my car growling and baring it's teeth......I shouted out at the man and he called it off, didn't put it on the leash though.

As I start walking through the carpark, bang, it's coming at me, I wait till the last second, sure it's gonna bite, and bam, I kick it in the chops....f&ck it.

So the man says nothing for a minute, then suddenly, he's in my face going mental in Chinese, I take my phone out and call the cops, meanwhile, his whole family comes out swearing at me and jumping in my face, even the wife and 16 year old son......completely obvious that they are trying to make me hit them......by God resistance was difficult.

Police come, do the whole let's save face routine when really the owner should have been nicked....meh, I said I don't want to press charges, just get home without getting bit.

Whatever the cops said after I left did the trick though, the dog is always on the lead now and I rarely see the guy now actually......

What I've figured out about Hong Kong people......You know in England, those shite people from the estates who are, chavvy, loud, aggressive, unemployed, smoking assholes......well, they are probably 5% of Brits, they are about 65% of locals...You see it everywhere here, these dreadful older women wearing mini skirts and fake LV handbags barking into their sequin covered cellphones.....just awful people...yuck.

(Flameproof jacket on!)

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    There's a big difference between drop kicking a dog's head and shielding your dog/child and maybe pushing the dog away firmly if the owner doesn't reign the dog as he/she should. As I said, there's a middle ground between firmness and barbaric violence.

If a rude person tries to go into the MTR, you can either push them firmly out of the way or simply prevent them from doing that they want. Or you can be the macho brute and kick them in the nuts or punch them in the face. Is it the same? I have no sympathy for the dog owner that fails to control a dog however one doesn't need to act like a troglodyte from the middle ages.

There might be instances where more force is obviously needed but as a rule if a dog is with an owner, it's not overly vicious, they simply lack discipline and such overt violence is likely to result in more trouble. If you were to kill that dog and all he did was come towards you barking, you better hope that dog owner is either smaller than you or more civilized not to mention that without any evidence of attack, the other owner would be in a better legal position.

Hi Gilles, I just saw your posts....actually I only saw the OP........Like I told the police that evening, I was at least 90% sure the dog was going to bite me, I gave it one sweet kick in the chops.....not a hiding, not macho....actually I was scared......

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    ...these dreadful older women wearing mini skirts and fake LV handbags barking into their sequin covered cellphones.....just awful people...yuck....
    Now, now remember you're a guest here. Can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I also have a dog, sometimes people are too lazy to train their dog. Regardless it is Westerner or Chinese, if you feel that you or your dog is under threat then just go away slowly.
    Staying away from them is the best option, last thing you want is for the police to come in and then you would have wasted time with them too.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast