Like Tree5Likes

About aggressive dogs or dogs in general...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I will no longer walk my old dog in public parks due to the ever increasing number of aggressive dogs and aggro owners.

When we talk about aggressive dogs, I think you have to be careful about whether it is people and dog aggressive, or just dog aggressive but people friendly. The bull terriers are generally very aggressive to other dogs but friendly to people. This sometimes lull their owners into a false sense of security when out walking his dog, not realizing their affectionate people dog is a complete beast to other dogs. And also some breeds are just in-born with aggression that can't be altered no matter what training they received. Some dog breeds (i.e. certain pit bull breeds) are dog aggressive no matter how much training and socializing they receive.

While other dog aggressive (but not a threat to people) breeds (i.e. Shiba inu) can be trained to at least tolerate other dogs if given rigourous socialization.

As always, the onus is on the owner to do proper research on a particular breed before buying one. But in a city like HK, how many owners seriously give a thought to that? It's more like: "Oh look at how that Yorkshire terrier's coat matches my sofa in the living room" (all the while ignoring that terrier's growling). Dogs are sadly more of a fashion accessory to many people here. Buy one while they are new, then chuck them out when they fall out of fashion. Why is the SPCA so overflowing with unwanted dogs otherwise?

Last edited by Watercooler; 03-01-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Tanae likes this.

In my experience it's always dog's attacking my dog. But aggression is aggression and when in a public place they should either be on a leash or muzzled.