Move Cat from China (Tibet) to HK

Closed Thread

Question Move Cat from China (Tibet) to HK

Hi guys,

We are moving to HK in a few months and are taking our cat with us. We currently live in Lhasa (Tibet) and find it incredibly difficult to arrange her paperwork on this side of the border (good thing we started early).

We still need a Health Certificate, Domestic Travel Permit and an Export Permit. The Rabies vaccinaties took us almost two months to arrange, very frustrating. Help?!

I am also wondering how we can transport our cat to HK. She has to fly as 'manifested cargo' but does this mean she can fly as 'excess baggage' on the same plane as us? Or does she need to be shipped by an official transport company (again not easy to find one in Lhasa who transports animals)?

Please, if there is anyone out there who can help us... your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Miu

Hi Miu,

For the Health Certificate you will need to find a licensed vet in Tibet.

Typically airlines will allow pets to fly on the same flight as owners (provided that the particular airline/plane is equipped to transport animals in the cargo hold). You will need to arrive several hours early at the cargo facility to arrange the drop off of the animal. It is not the same thing as excess baggage and must be arranged with the airline's cargo transport department beforehand. Many airlines will not transport animals in the summer months (its an insurance thing in the US, not sure about Asia). The cargo hold for animals is climate controlled, but there is a lot of waiting around in the cargo facility while getting onto and off of the flight which can be too hot.

Have you talked to any pet import-export agents? Even if you decide not to hire one, you can gather some country-specific information in initial conversations with an agent. You may need to speak with a couple agents to find one who has dealt with Tibet. You can also call or email the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department directly with questions.

Additionally, it seems like you have already looked at the AFCD web site:
    AFCD Import of Dogs and Cats

Have you determined if your cat will be quarantined (4 month minimum) upon arrival (which, unfortunately I think is likely coming from Tibet)? If you will have to quarantine, the summer months are not an ideal time to travel because the quarantine facilities can be very hot (no air con). Also, if you will have to quarantine, space at the facilities is limited. You will need to book several months in advance.

Last edited by hello_there; 14-03-2008 at 11:55 PM.

airway bill?

It seems HK requires an airway bill to accompany the pet. If this is true, then you cannot travel with the pet as the airline will not produce an airway bill.

I am in the process of getting the documents to bring my dog from US. I called the HKAFCD and that is the info they gave, but I am unsure if I asked the right questions.

Can anyone verify this information? Thanks a bunch!!

Quote Originally Posted by glue:
    It seems HK requires an airway bill to accompany the pet. If this is true, then you cannot travel with the pet as the airline will not produce an airway bill.

I am in the process of getting the documents to bring my dog from US. I called the HKAFCD and that is the info they gave, but I am unsure if I asked the right questions.

Can anyone verify this information? Thanks a bunch!!
    Your logic does not make sense. Why cant you get an airway bill if you are on the same flight as your pet? FYI, numerous people I know, including myself, flew on the same flight from the US to HK as our pets.

I am not sure what "logic" you are referring to.

It's simply the rules set by the HKAFCD.

You should look up the definition of an airway bill.

If you traveled on any of the major US airlines, you have NEVER received an airway bill for your pet. It is only produced when an item (in this case pet) is transported as manifest cargo.

Perhaps the rules change since you had traveled or the rules were not strictly enforced, but current office strictly declares this is a requirement.

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about. Why can't you receive an airway bill if you fly on a US airline? Whenever you fly cargo (in this case a pet) you get the airway bill. I think you may be confused and think the animal flew in the cabin with us, in which case you would not get an airway bill. However, I never said that the pet was in the cabin. I just said she was on the same flight. My first post notes the details of dropping a pet off at a cargo facility, not checking it into the plane's cabin. Our pet was shipped on my flight to HK from the US as manifest cargo, no problem. We dropped her off at Cathay's cargo office/ department and did the airline paperwork and received the airway bill, before checking ourselves in at the airport. Picked her up on the other end at the cargo facility in HK after she cleared examinations by the AFCD officer. Handed them the same paperwork that we received from the airline along with the import permit and other vet forms, etc. Had an export agency pick up a second dog that flew on a relative's flight, but the same procedure applied.

Miu, your cat can fly on the same flight, as "manifest cargo". It is fairly simple to arrange transport of an animal directly with the airline's cargo department. If Cathay flies from Tibet to HK I would recommend using them to transport the cat. They have a good reputation for transporting animals safely.

Last edited by hello_there; 16-03-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Thought I'd add a little clarity.

Hi all!

I deal quite a bit with international pet shipping to/from the Asia-Pacific and thought I'd try to clear up some of the terminology here. It can be quite confusing.

"Manifest cargo" simply means you are sending your pet from point A to point B, underneath the plane, "consigned' to someone on the receiving end. HK requires that all live animals arrive as manifest cargo no matter where they are coming from. The "consignee" can be anyone -- you, a relative, a professional pet transportation company, a customs agency, etc.

Typically to book a pet as "manifest cargo" you will need to go through the cargo reservation line for the airline. If you call up the regular passenger reservation line and tell them you want to send a pet as cargo they can usually give you the number or transfer you.

You can still be on the same flight as your pet in most cases. The difference will also be that you will check your pet in at the cargo area (sometimes an entirely different part of the airport) versus the regular check-in area at the passenger terminal. This can add to the logistical work of trying to fly with your pet. Additionally, most cargo shipments have "cut-off" times of about 2-4 hours prior -- this is when the cargo (your pet) must be checked-in by.

When you book a piece of cargo, it will fly on an "air way bill." This is like the tracking number essentially, and a piece of paper with that number on it with a description of the goods and the name of the consignee. Only the person who is listed as the consignee can pick up the pet on the receiving end. You will get a copy of the air way bill when you check your pet in for the flight. You will either need to forward this to your consignee in HK or if you are the consignee, take it with you to HK for when you clear your pet through customs.

"Accompanied/excess luggage" (or baggage) means the pet travels attached to you when you are flying as a passenger on the plane. It is usually cheaper to go this way. The pet still goes under the plane but you check the pet in at the check-in area at the passenger terminal. There is no air way bill issued because they are like another piece of luggage, and you are not consigning them to someone on the receiving end. As mentioned before, your pet cannot go into HK as excess luggage due to the HK government's regulations.

Hopefully this helps somewhat. Happy travels!!

RF

Shenzhen (or Guangzhou) to HK

Ok, plans have changed.

As we discovered we cannot fly our cat directly from Lhasa to Hong Kong (due to Chinese customs restrictions), we decided to fly to Shenzhen or Guangzhou and then have our cat transported to HK by a pet transport company.

Does anybody know a good agent that might be able to help us?

Or does anybody have any ideas on how to arrange this by ourselves?

Thanks again!!

Miu

Used export-a-pet and they did a good job. They are based in HK.
    Export-A-Pet

Neighbor used Ferndale Kennels as an import agent, also based in HK, and they were good too.

I still think that a quarantine can apply for animals coming from China and its important to figure this out, and book quarantine facilities, in advance. A good pet relocation agent can help with this.

Pet Movers Hong Kong

I have worked very closely with Pet Movers Hong Kong and they do a great job. Louise Hui who runs the operation really loves the animals and takes great care of them.
    She does this route frequently.

Pet Movers Hong Kong
    [email protected]
    +852-3404-0061

Happy travels!