Like Tree43Likes

Impossible to find a Pug puppy in this city? Seriously?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    berries

Angry Impossible to find a Pug puppy in this city? Seriously?

My lovely husband has agreed to let me get a Pug puppy for my 22nd birthday in two weeks, and I've been extensively searching for one on the Internet these past few days. It's been completely fruitless. The handful of ads for Pug puppies I've come across are all from early 2012, if they're not just complete scams. I've obviously checked all the HK dog rescue websites including the SPCA, but none of them have Pug puppies. I fully support and encourage adopting rescued dogs (my parents' dog is a large dog from the SPCA), but I really, really want a Pug puppy to raise. My husband and I are young and can only afford a small apartment (if you can even call it an apartment), what with the insane rent in this city (HK is about as young people-friendly as it is pet-friendly), so I only want a little dog. Is there seriously nowhere in this godforsaken city of 7 million people where I can get a Pug puppy within the next 2/3 weeks? I grew up here and had no idea it was so hard to find a place from which or person from whom to acquire one of the most loved and common breeds of dog. Really, HK?!? I'm reluctant to buy from a pet shop, but I might have to. Even then, NO ADS! Am I supposed to call and search every pet shop on HK Island?

Maybe I'm getting this mixed up with another breed, but I seem to remember that there was a short-lived fashion to own pugs here, but that people discovered their cute, "squashed" noses had major Issues with the local humidity & pollution. Maybe a more doggy person than I has more info.

papaya and carang like this.

the rescue organisations often have pugs available. just be patient.

i really hate the idea of an animal as a birthday present. i've found that often when that happens, the dog is an accessory to be discarded when it becomes inconvenient, rather than a member of the family.

i do hope that if you are dead set on a pug, that you have a little patience and get one from a rescue organisation rather than buying from a horrid pet shop.

There are *always* pugs available at the various rescue organizations (we got ours at SPCA).
    Just keep checking every few days by visiting them. Looking at websites is fruitless as they are not updated very often.

carang likes this.

I hope that the OP, however young herself and her husband are, realised that in raising a puppy, pug or not , that ' house training' and general canine discipline is involved. Even if you have a small dog, it will still need to be walked regularly and trained to obey commands or soon the ' cuteness' of a young pup will wear off. I look regularly on the SPCA and dog rescues sites for a dog to adopt, although at the moment my husband's and my working life does not allow for it at the moment, and I have seen pugs available for adoption. Maybe not puppies, but young and healthy dogs. Also, if you throw up hands at the mention of HK's sky high rents, then don't forget to factor in the cost of raising and owning a dog. Most companies that provide pet insurance, I.e. manulife, have a limit of age of the pet, e.g. 8 yrs old, so it could be worth insuring your dog in the event ( hopefully not) that you may need it.

Pugs are great dogs and wonderful companions. I had one for 10 years. Best pet I had. Be patient and one will turn up.

Our dog was an abandoned dog after sars.

Last edited by virago; 10-03-2013 at 10:45 PM.

berries

Thanks for your replies.

I do hope I can find one at the SPCA or other organisation rather than buying from a pet shop. It'd be great to be able to rescue a Pug. My only concern is the availability, especially puppies.

carang and Natfixit: It may be very common here for people to heartlessly abandon their pets because ignorant people here see them as cutesy moving stuffed toys that can be disposed of once they become too big or a nuisance or have lost their novelty as a present for their kids, but please, I can assure you that I am the last person you should be lecturing about dogs being family. I'm not a dumb party girl who impulsively asked for a puppy as a birthday present; I'm an avid animal lover and I prefer the company of dogs over humans. No pet of mine would EVER be abandoned for any reason.

I know people are just concerned about the dogs' welfare, but I've noticed that on these threads there's a lot of lecturing about pets being living things and long-term commitments etc. like the OP isn't fully aware of that. Most of us are loving, responsible pet owners just asking a question, thank you. The lecturing is completely unnecessary.

Natfixit: I've already raised a large dog from puppyhood before, thanks. I housebroke her myself. Since this is not my first dog, I am fully aware of what having a dog entails.

Natfixit and chingleutsch: You're definitely right about Pugs having major health issues with the humidity and pollution here. If I were going to stay in HK, I wouldn't get a Pug for that reason. But my husband and I will be moving to the US in a few months (one of the reasons being that I can have a large grassy backyard for my dogs -- and the fact that we could rent a HOUSE there for what we pay in rent for a closet here!). I will of course be bringing my Pug. There is no quarantine to bring a dog into the US.

I would wait until you get to the USA then, seems best all round and a lot cheaper.

carang, chingleutsch and Tanae like this.

Reading that the OP is moving back to the US within a few months, maybe, I'm with Hull on this one. If you really want a healthy, pug puppy to raise, then why not wait until you arrive back in the US and check out the American Kennel Club www.akc.org or American Dog Breeders www.adbadogs.com so you can find a reputable breeder from whom to adopt or buy your pup.

Re; lecturing you. No one is. This is public forum and people who respond are passionate and love their dogs, cats, hamsters, whatever animal member of their family. I would take it more as concern . There are a hell of a lot of dodgy practices in HK regarding animal breeding and adoption, and there are animal lovers who care and encourage others to stamp this out.

carang and chingleutsch like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast