Like Tree34Likes

Cat in 4 month quarantine

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Oh that's good to hear.

I intend using George when I leave.

carang likes this.

Far be it for me to suggest anyone commit a misdemeanour, but there are legal ways to bring cats from catogary three countries to Hong Kong without putting the poor things through quarantine. Quarantine is never nice for any domestic pet.

I suggest anyone wanting to do this contact one of the pet relocators and discuss these options.

Glad it's worked out Dayzee.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    Far be it for me to suggest anyone commit a misdemeanour, but there are legal ways to bring cats from catogary three countries to Hong Kong without putting the poor things through quarantine. Quarantine is never nice for any domestic pet.
    And how would you propose to do just that, then? Four months quarantine is the standard time in which the AFCD can determine if the imported animal exhibits any sign of disease, in particular, rabies.

I suggest that you call up George at IPT and Stacy at Ferndale and listen to what they have to say. Honestly, they have both been in the business for a long time and I'll bet they have seen a hell of a lot. Both deeply care about the animals they help transport in and out of the country and are seriously genuine people. So go ahead and give them your suggestions., I'm sure they'll listen.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 03-11-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Typos!!
    carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    And how would you propose to do just that, then?
    I haven't done this and don't condone it, but understand it involves first flying the animal to a country that is approved by HK but doesn't itself insist on quarantining an animal arriving from the original location.

You'd think that the HK authorities would tighten up this loophole, puts animals in HK at risk.
    Koen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I haven't done this and don't condone it, but understand it involves first flying the animal to a country that is approved by HK but doesn't itself insist on quarantining an animal arriving from the original location.

You'd think that the HK authorities would tighten up this loophole, puts animals in HK at risk.
    I agree with you there. My husband suggested at first, why not fly our cat to Australia then to HK, but he would have had to spend firstly, a longer flight to Oz, quarantine is like HK in OZ, no better but no worse. Then fly poor kitty back to HK. It's a tiring procedure for both owner and animal. Our kitty survived the four months quarantine here and it was no problem. The enclosures are clean, cat always has fresh water and food, you can supply your own food if liked, and vets can come out to check up on your pet, plus long visiting hours. The staff do not speak fluent English but are friendly and helpful. It's quiet , as well compared to the flat we moved into at first. I'd rather have the quarantine than the risk of rabies and other infectious diseases brought into a country.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:

Ya with you shouting it to the roof tops they might, though it's the HK government putting animals at risk with its outdated procedures.

There is absolutely no need for animals like dogs and cats to go into quarantine. The fact that Hong Kong has an outdated system very reminiscent to what the UK had in the 80's is not I repeat not the animals fault and they shouldn't suffer as a result.

The UK system is not flawless yet but at least they do now believe in SCIENCE almost completely, it took a long time, HK has to play catch up to this. as usual.
    Rob2020 likes this.

I was given option of flying our cat to another country. Already his whole relocation cost me 24000HKD and my family was not relocated by a large company so I had to take the cheaper and longer option. We came in from Korea who are very lax about animal health laws so I completely understand Hong Kong's regulations. He is healthy and seems content. Eating well and looking good. 4 weeks to go!

Quote Originally Posted by dayzee:
    family was not relocated by a large company so I had to take the cheaper and longer option..
    Yes expenses are an issue when moving with pets.

We came in from Korea who are very lax about animal health laws so I completely understand Hong Kong's regulations
    There is a difference between no laws and completely stupid laws? Do you think a dog should for example sit in quarantine unnecessarily for months and months and months on end when a simple blood test taking half a hour max could prove if it was fully inoculated against rabies?

Glad your cats only got four weeks left Animals in cages

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    Yes expenses are an issue when moving with pets.

There is a difference between no laws and completely stupid laws? Do you think a dog should for example sit in quarantine unnecessarily for months and months and months on end when a simple blood test taking half a hour max could prove if it was fully inoculated against rabies?

Glad your cats only got four weeks left Animals in cages
    Must not feed the troll
    Must not feed the troll
    Must not feed the troll
    Must not feed the troll
    Must not feed the troll
    Must not......

My wife and I are moving from Zhuhai to HK in Feb next year. We've contacted 3 different pet movers (2 of them are based in HK) and each have said that they'll move him from Zhuhai to HK in 48 hours without quarantine for prices between $11k to $20k HKD. I should also point out they're all registered with the IPATA and another pet moving body.

I'd rather do this as my cat is terrified of strangers and is a very need cat... Can anyone tell me some downsides to this?

Last edited by Mike120; 13-11-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: additional info