Law Suit for importing animal?

Closed Thread

Law Suit for importing animal?

Hi,

I am trying to bring one of my cats back to HK from USA, however my cat got the rabies booster 20 days ago (30 days required). ALL other vaccinations are ok. I called AFCD at first they only said they were going to quarantine him for 10 days extra, but i called again yesterday and they said that if I bring the cat back they might sue me? is that true?

On the animal health certificate, the doctor stated that the cat is healthy enough for travel. I cannot keep the pet in US because I am moving back to HK permanently.

Who are we to second guess what AFCD might do? Other options would include killing the illegally imported cat - it's not like we're exactly short of them here.

You must get the Special Permit from them before you bring the animal here. If the animal doesn't meet the requirements then they will not issue the permit. I'd be really quite surprised if the airline would accept the animal for transport unless they have evidence that you have permission to import it into Hong Kong. If you do manage to get the cat as far as Hong Kong then the fine for attempting to import it without a permit is $5000. And the cat will most likely be destroyed.

The obvious answer if you can't delay your flight is to delay the cat's, and leave it in a kennel (or whatever the cat equivalent of that is) in the USA and get it shipped when you have the permit for it.

Or just get a new one when you get here.

Last edited by PDLM; 17-05-2008 at 12:32 PM.

PDLM is right. You can't get an import permit from AFCD without meeting the requirements, and if you import without it you could lose your pet, and be legally punishable. all pet export companies will have some boarding arrangements available, and I think any export co that exports without the permit could also be held legally liable.

BTW, border control/quarantine rules are there for a reason, not just to keep gov boffins in jobs, though they do that too.

Hi all,

thanks very much for the reply. Well its not like I dont have a permit. I HAVE THE PERMIT AND EVERYTHING ELSE.
    The only issue is that on the animal certificate, the rabies shot was given 20 days be4 the departure.
    In other words I just need the cat to wait 10 days for the rabies requirement to be satisfied.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prozone:
    Hi all,

thanks very much for the reply. Well its not like I dont have a permit. I HAVE THE PERMIT AND EVERYTHING ELSE.
    The only issue is that on the animal certificate, the rabies shot was given 20 days be4 the departure.
    In other words I just need the cat to wait 10 days for the rabies requirement to be satisfied.

thanks

We had exactly the same thing. The cats had to wait in a cattery for the 30 days to lapse before they could even think of flying here.

Generally your transport company should deal with all of that. It is a good idea to deal with professionals as they know the regulations and procedures well.

If unsure, speak to Ferndale Kennels in Sai Kung. They are pretty knowledgable.