Like Tree21Likes

Help! First time potential dog owner, but I'm not ready.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PackerFan:
    I love this suggestion! Even before we consider dog sitting or foster care, they should get used to going be around dogs and caring for them in the proper environment. If they really want this, they shouldn't be opposed to doing volunteer work at the shelter.
    I really think volunteering for a dog charity is a good idea before you go any further. I like it that you are taking this decision so seriously. To be honest, it does sound like you don't really want a dog but are getting worn down by the pressure if it's taken this many years to get to this point.

I grew up with lots of dogs and it was a fabulous experience, especially as a child. I still miss them now. However, they are a lot of work and that's something you and your children may not fully understand (unless you're planning to get the helper doing the work). You have to be home at specific times for feeding which can be restrictive. Holidays can be an issue. And if you're sick, the last thing you need is dragging yourself out of bed because the dog always has breakfast at 6am and won't stop barking until breakfast appears. Or indeed because the dog is throwing up on the carpet.

But, at the same time, if you do end up with a dog, it could well be the best experience of your life

Quote Originally Posted by PackerFan:
    I love this suggestion! Even before we consider dog sitting or foster care, they should get used to going be around dogs and caring for them in the proper environment. If they really want this, they shouldn't be opposed to doing volunteer work at the shelter.
    Consider looking at volunteer options with the SPCA or fostering options through Lifelong Animal Protection and some of the other organizations out there. I suggest SPCA in particular because they have a small rehoming facility in Stanley that has a lot of teenage volunteers. HKDR does a lot of good, but for a first time dog owner their views can be a bit overwhelming...

Our neighbors were in a similar position to you, two teenage children begging for a dog. They fostered a poodle and ended up adopting him after much thought and hard work. The kids love the dog, but honestly it is the mum and helper who I see out the most with the dog.

I think you're approaching the issue responsibly and ultimately you will come to the right decision for your family, whatever that may be.

For me (an owner of 3 dogs) the pros are unconditional love, companionship and affection from the dogs, which for me is well worth the time and expense of properly caring for them. I find walking, hiking and swimming with the dogs to be relaxing.

Have your kids thought about the actual time commitment involved in taking care of a dog? For a dog, including small ones, significant exercise is required daily (2 half hour walks at a minimum for most, plus at least two more shorter walks for the toilet). When factoring in feeding and grooming, along with walks and play, my dogs easily take up 3++ hours a day. Do your kids have that kind of time to spare?

Also, how does your helper feel about dogs? Is she capable of enforcing the rules for the dog? If she will be doing some walks/ care she needs a basic understanding of how to control the dog, and be willing to follow through with your training, otherwise the dog can get confused and behavior problems may result.

Good luck with your choice.
    Watercooler likes this.

This one's a tough one, kudos to you for being thoughtful before possibly committing 10+ years to taking care of a dog.

Kids will be kids, and I don't think they have any idea of what it takes to care for a dog. Maybe, and that's a very non-committal maybe, your 15-yo might have it in him, but chances are it's going to fall to the adults in the family. IMHO, if you're against it, and your wife is only "leaning" towards it, it's a bad idea.

Letting your kids have a trial is a good idea. Since they're the ones who want it, they're the ones who have to prove to you that they can do it. I don't know your kids, but I really doubt the 10-yo has what it takes.

A dog is a part of the family and a huge commitment, I would go so far to say that I would think about it as hard as I would about having a child. It would be a shame for it to be brought home as a toy, to be eventually marginalized and then discarded. It happens far too often, and I really, really hope you make the right choice.

Good luck, and go Niners.

My dad was exactly the same about us getting a cat. My sis and I begged, my mum liked cats but was kind of on the fence about it. I remember him saying 'you'll get bored of it in 2 weeks!'. But we persisted and finally and very reluctantly he conceded.

That cat ruled our house for 13 years. My mum, my sister and I loved him to bits. My dad- who liked dogs and birds in the garden- hated him with a passion. But after many years, when my dad started working at home, and it was just the 2 of them all day, he grew to love him very much too.

^ Cats and dogs are completely different animals, literally and figuratively. Put out a litter box for their poop and you're done. Dogs need to be taken out, walked, you have to wait for them to find their spot, etc.

Watercooler likes this.

I know. That's why I like cats.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Know what you mean. Nowadays I'd be more inclined to get a cat than a dog.

Ellie gives a good positive reason for considering before you adopt and why you should. I grew up with dogs from a very young age and looking back, realise now ( in mature years) such a positive impact it had on my upbringing and nature, now. 10 and 15 is not that young. One learns responsibility and caring when put in a position to look after something that depends on you. Such as a dog, cat etc. A dog ( or cat) gives such love and personality to a household.

Have you actually sat down with your children and asked them why they want a dog so much??? There are so many dogs waiting to be fostered or adopted via Hong Kong Dog Rescue, Kirsten's Zoo, SPCA and PALS. Also, before adopting, look for the type of dog in its personality and nature as to what suits your living arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    Know what you mean. Nowadays I'd be more inclined to get a cat than a dog.
    My husband was against me adopting an older cat when we lived in Dubai as he wanted a dog or puppy. Four years on, he's in love with our fat, fluffy, furball just as much as I was at first sight and still am! ( constant entertainment and love. Mine is still looking for that gecko he saw run across our lounge floor before....)
    Koen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    I know. That's why I like cats.
    We take our cat for walkies. He hates travelling in the car, though. And yes, the need to to be around people. He's got a bit of 'dog' in him and not entirely cat.