Like Tree25Likes

Hiking in Sai Kung with a dog

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hiking in Sai Kung with a dog

It looks like there are lots of great hikes in Sai Kung country park, some of which I would like to try out with my labrador once the weather gets cooler.

I think the biggest problem I will have will be getting my 40kg lab to the start of the trails. I can't really imagine taking him on public transport (he looks like a giant toy, but people here freak out because he is so big), but I understand that private cars are not allowed into the country park.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hikes which start near a public parking area anywhere around the Sai Kung / CWB area? Or good ideas for getting a large dog into the country park as painlessly as possible...

We are hoping to move to the area soon, so I'm still rather clueless about all of this!

Taxis take dogs and you should only get charged 5$ extra on top of the fare, they are allowed access to country parks, I have taken 3 huskies in taxis before with no problem, just remember to bring a spare towel to clean up before leaving the vehicle, my dogs after a long walk will drool and shed hairs everywhere, I usually leave a big tip as well on top of trying to clean as much as possible.

Or you can hire a van to take your dog, might work out cheaper than a taxi.

Koen and Mangosteen88 like this.

Yep, wot Bhotia said, but also be minded that Sai Wan Pavillion (the start to a number of the most popular trails) doesn't have phone reception. It is impossible to call for a taxi so pre-book one.

Koen and Mangosteen88 like this.

Firstly, get a copy of the Countryside Series map for Sai Kung & Clearwater Bay. That shows the trails and some car parking spots. Dogs are not allowed on buses or minibuses. There are several good routes starting from at or near the country park entrance at Pak Tam Chung, but also many others from other places.

Mangosteen88 likes this.

Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I will start by going down the taxi route - I assumed they would take small dogs, but be iffy about big shedding ones. I'm smiling at the thought of 3 huskies in a taxi!

If you have a car then you can always drive to the public car parks and then start walking, i do that once in a while, i park my car at the Pak Tam Chung car park and then walk the dogs all the way to water sports centre.

Mangosteen88 likes this.

There are some lovely walks in Clear Water Bay also

Much easier to get a Taxi from there! You can walk from Mang Uk to Clearwater Bay along the top of the hill. Your dogs will love it!

wtbhotia and Mangosteen88 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    There are some lovely walks in Clear Water Bay also

Much easier to get a Taxi from there! You can walk from Mang Uk to Clearwater Bay along the top of the hill. Your dogs will love it!
    High Junk Peak Country Trail

Official starting point here http://goo.gl/maps/8T7RC
    Mangosteen88 likes this.

if you want to start off small, there is small hike, small for the real hikers, hell of a walk for a fat unfit bastard like me, just outside Hang Hau http://goo.gl/maps/acyTO

Ying Yip Road starting point and walk all the way to the clear water bay petrol station outside the old TVB station and then you can walk down back to hang hau following the road. unfit person like me took an hour

Mangosteen88 likes this.

Thanks again for the tips. Looking forward to cooler weather and hiking again.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast