Retriever training in HK?

Closed Thread

Retriever training in HK?

Hi

Are there are any retriever training groups here in HK? By retriever training, I mean training gundogs to Working Test or Field Trial standard.

I have trained my dogs to WT level in the UK, and would really like to continue here in HK. Any information would be gratefully received.

With thanks
    Nick

No. There's no room in HK to accommodate retriever trials. HK is very short on space and where there isn't buildings it's mostly steep and rocky which isn't suitable for trials. Besides, there isn't any reason/requirement for retriever trials in HK because there are no game birds.

Ok, thank you for the answer. I did not intend using game birds, as dummies fit the bill perfectly. I have lived in HK for over a year now and I am fully aware of the space limitations in HK. Perhaps I did not make myself clear in my flu-like state, I was only wondering whether such training groups exist here; I do not want to work my dogs in a competitive environment because of such environmental and weather conditions.

Thank you for your time Tanae, I really appreciate your response.
    Nick

Last edited by NickyC; 05-06-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

There used to be a facility near Beas River/ Fanling the New Terratories, in late 1990s, but not sure if it still operates. It only used dummies.

Last edited by hello_there; 05-06-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks

Thanks hello_there, very much appreciated. I learnt so much, and so fast with my first errant retriever. I kind of got hooked on learning how a retriever's brain ticks.

Looking at my juvenile Flat Coat at the moment, I would hazard a guess that he's contemplating how break into the treat box, or is fondly reminiscing about rolling in fox crap. I can tell you that I don't miss that!

With thanks
    Nick