Like Tree15Likes

Buying a kitten in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying a kitten in HK

Hi All,

I am really interested in getting a kitten, however I was wondering what people's opinions were on purchasing cats in Hong Kong. I would not buy from a pet shop, so would be looking for an ethical, small, and friendly breeder. I am looking for a Exotic Persion Shorthair.

I have heard you have to be careful when it comes to purchasing pets in HK as they may not be properly vaccinated, unhealthy etc, so I would like to know if it is worthwhile purchasing in HK or contacting a breeder in my home country of Australia.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

belvoir likes this.

Hi there. I haven't personally come across any reputable cat breeders, but a cursory search of google shows Tiger Cattery as one set of cat breeders (but they don't breed Persian shorthairs). It might be worth contacting them to see whether they know of anyone.

I noticed another expat site had the same question.

If cat breeding is at a similar level to dog breeding in HK, then I'm afraid you won't find too many (if any at all) reputable and responsible dog breeders in Hong Kong. There are always plenty of rescue exotic cats available though - so if you're willing to explore that avenue, then you should contact LAPS or HK Alley Cats.

There are a few persian breeders here, just google persian and exotic breeders Hong Kong and you will come up with a few. No guarantees on their ethics or quality though.

You will get many people coming on here and saying adopt a cat, and it is true there are plenty out there to adopt from the various agencies. However, I do also appreciate that bring a cat or dog into your family is as much about the personality and companionship as it is about any altruistic feelings.

And yes, you can get personality and companionship from strays, but I will say, in my experience, it is a much more hit and miss affair with strays. Certain breeds of cat have certain characteristics, looks aside, and unless I'm simply looking for a cat to keep a mouse population down or keep the birds from my rooftop, I would go for a specific breed. I have had many breeds over the years, and my particular favourite for personality would be an Abyssinian.

However, there are certain breeds of cats I would avoid and Persian is one of them. I find the breeding ethics worldwide for this breed to be questionable, and the development of the near vertical face, with its attendant internal structural issues to be almost bordering on abuse. I used to go to cat shows a lot, and over the last 30 years have found it depressing to hear the snuffly, grunty breathing.

Breeding of the various 'pedigree' cats is something I wholeheartedly support, specific selective breeding to accentuate certain characteristics to an extreme level to the detriment of the animal's health is not something I would ever support. These breeds have existed naturally for thousands of years in some cases and deserve to be allowed to continue as a distinct breed as much as an elephant does, and the breeding practices of the last 30 years have done a great deal of harm.

Anyway, rant over, there are a few small breeders here, you would have to visit and evaluate yourself as to whether you feel you will get a healthy pet.

belvoir likes this.

I am against buying cats, whether from "ethical" breeders or not. There are plenty of great cats in shelters all the time, go and adopt a couple!

I don't deny, it's your right to buy from an ethical breeder, but at least consider adoption.

And, presumably you'll be away from home most of the time, working etc., so I recommend to get two, they will keep each other company.

One thing when adopting a kitten , as a few friends have found out, you do need to house train it to stop peeing on the floor and head straight for the litter box, scratch the scratching post not the lounge or rattan furniture or your legs. As it becomes older, unless neutered, you will find undesirable behaviour a such as spraying and aggressive playing. The kitten will grow out if it, but needs to be curtailed with toys, espc anything on a string and is red on colour, like a mouse. I would love to adopt another, kitty for ours but he prefers human company and get stressed having other cats around.

I'm unfamiliar with the breeding situation in HK, but if you have a look at some of the shops in Mong Kok, you'll quickly be repulsed, sadly. There was a big prosecution case recently involving adult British short haired cats.
    I just wanted to say that I've been fostering kittens (street kitties!) through the SPCA for many months now and I love it! It's something you could do until you settle on the right cat. All the costs are covered and there are no strings attached -- you just give a temporary, loving home to a cute kitten until they're big enough for adoption (then you get first priority for adoption). More information is here: http://www.spca.org.hk/en/animal-wel...-foster-parent. And please feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions!
    And speaking of street kitties vs bred ones, so far all of our foster kittens have been great. No problems at all with toilet training. They prefer going in boxes and just go there once you just show them where the box is.
    Here's our current stinker/sweetheart.
    Name:  Number Seven1.jpg
Views: 6410
Size:  882.7 KB

shafiq, USA40-40, MCDC and 1 others like this.

Yes, please adopt.
    Growing up the cats I have had were all adopted.
    If your concerned about the personality, just make sure they are socialized properly when young. Tough I have adopted older cats with no problems either. Even with a particular breed the personalities can still vary; much like people
    Please check out the HK SPCA, there are many new kittens and older cats (already house trained) available.

Pls adopt..LAP/Kirstens Zoo . I don't know how much you know about HK, but many healthy breed cats getting euthanized by AFCD daily just because people got bored of them. We adopted a lovely Turkish Angora she was using the toilet from day one..Cats are for life and if you consider to return back to you home country Persian cats may be banned from the airline . All stray cats I came across in our area for example were using the cat toilet from day one once they were brought into an apartment , they used to be pets before until someone got bored with them and they teaching it to their kittens.. I was surprised didn't see that in my home country before..

Natfixit likes this.

Thanks so much everyone for your comments, it's appreciated

Hannah, you must mean an exotic shorthair or shorthair Persian. Both need attention, grooming regularly and a certain diet. Also, both breeds look cute ( I had a part Persian for my first cat), but you do need to research both breeds for temperament ( easy going albeit a bit cranky when not stimulated enough with play), congenital health issues and lifespan, diet etc...Persians and exotic shorthairs need a quiet, secure and stable environment with minimal noise or visible outside protagonists. Both prefer being the only pet, but love human company. Look for adopting from a shelter first here as in HK, breeding is largely unregulated and inhumane. Also, regardless of what you read about a cat or dog being of a certain breed in the pet shop, it may not be a purebred at all. This becomes apparent once your cat or dog reaches puberty. No joke. I've seen schnauzers crossed with poodles which isn't so bad as beagles crossed with long haired breeds.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast