Like Tree47Likes

Monthly expenses of pets

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Monthly expenses of pets

I am considering getting a cat or a dog in Hong Kong. How much living expenses does a cat/dog normally cost per month? E.g. food, snacks, toys, medical expenses, etc? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by agggg:
    I am considering getting a cat or a dog in Hong Kong. How much living expenses does a cat/dog normally cost per month? E.g. food, snacks, toys, medical expenses, etc? Thanks!
    A dog OR a cat? They are different and have different requirements.

what will you feed it? Standard canned food from a supermarket, or something nutritious from the vet/other suppliers?

Where will you get it from? A rescue agency that will have ensured it is healthy and sorted out vaccinations/neutering etc; or a shop that will probably sell you something half dead that will have huge medical costs later?

The simplicity of your question suggests you have no idea. Having no idea is a really bad place to start when it comes to pets.

Thanks Katherine! I'm afraid I really don't have much experience with pets - and that's why I'm here to do more research and seek advice before doing anything stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    The simplicity of your question suggests you have no idea. Having no idea is a really bad place to start when it comes to pets.
    Don't be so patronising. It is much better to ask questions and get answers than to not ask, not get patronised but also get no advice.

OP, we have two dogs one of which is quite ill. We spend about 800 dollars a month on (sensitive) dog food and about 500 dollars a month on daily medication. Chews and toys probably about 200 dollars a month.

Then there are annual boosters as well as tick/flea worming and heartworm medication - I'd guess all in all another few thousand. I'm probably missing some stuff like having to buy new collars every few months and leads etc.

Dogs aren't cheap pets so if you're on a budget, I wouldn't recommend it.
    kimwy66, agggg and z754103 like this.

If you're not too experienced then I'd suggest you do some volunteer work with any of the rescue centres.

Get used to being around animals and speak to other volunteers first before making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Don't be so patronising. .
    You don't think asking about a "dog or a cat" was rather a red flag?!

Red flag for what?
    INXS likes this.

Maybe she was looking for a comparision to check if she couldn't afford one whether the other was possibly affordable. Maybe she is showing a high degree of responsibility in determining her pet choice. If more people considered the cost over how cute Fluffies is, there would be less demand for shelters.
    iliketurtles, agggg, jimbo and 2 others like this.

Just chill... There's no harm keeping an open mind and seeking more advice than absolutely needed! Just wanted to find out as much information as I can - starting with the easiest way of posting on the internet!

Another "cost" to consider is TIME. Some animals need a lot more human assistance than others. If for instance you get a puppy which is not yet house-trained, you'll need to spend plenty of time not only taking out for walks to do its business, but you'll also need to put in the work to teach it where (if anywhere) at home it's acceptable to "go". Different kinds of dogs will need differing amounts of grooming, bathing and exercise as well.
    Some dogs also go totally neurotic if they don't have company all, or nearly all, the time (as do some cats).

Cats are generally much easier to house train, but how friendly they are and whether they can be trained to respond to your call, depends much more on their individual characters.

Fiona in HKG, Kfay, agggg and 2 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast