Like Tree37Likes

UK Quarantine grrrrr!!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It's a lot easier for dogs and cats now they've introduced the UK Pet Passport system. But rodents are outside the scheme. Saying that, a friend and I took a dog from Luton to Holland and back via Eurotunnel and the tunnel people insist on charging £50 for the dog's "fare". It's just sitting in the car!

I've exported hamsters to Sweden via the ferry but never tried it the other way round. I've only imported from EU (Holland, Germany) using Eurotunnel. I know some hamster breeders in Sweden/Holland/Germany so will check if anyone's exported to the UK recently and if so, what the security procedure is. Ideally if I can get him into Paris avoiding quarantine (or breaking the law), we can just hop on a train to Calais, take the ferry (as I assume they don't security check hand luggage?) and then get the train from Dover to London (or make my poor father drive down from Lancashire in my car - that's stored at his while I'm in HK) and pick us up.

So did you end up paying 50 pounds for the toll? That's crazy.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...man-rights-act

Could you try something similar with HK immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    So did you end up paying 50 pounds for the toll? That's crazy.
    Yeah, my friend did (it was her dog). Ridiculous, isn't it? That's on top of the vet fees etc required each time a dog is returning to the UK under the Pet Passport scheme. Vet fees make sense but £50 for a dog when the car would take up just as much space in the train with or without the dog. Thieving b*stards!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...man-rights-act

Could you try something similar with HK immigration?
    Lol, I could but my problem is more financial than legal. My visa is okay until August but without a job here, I'm burning money fast. I can live a lot more cheaply in the UK (unbelievable as that may seem - my HK rent is 6x more than my UK mortgage!) and obviously I have no visa issues there so I can take whatever work I can to get cash....although contract market in my field is quite buoyant in London so it should be fairly easy to get work (and actually earn more than I was doing in HK).

Where would you prefer to be is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    Was that a few years ago? I took my 2 cats directly from Turkey to UK with no quarantine but that ruling changed just a couple of years ago and no need to do it for cats and dogs now.
    Must be 5 or 6 years ago.

Pet passport was available but we were leaving at short notice...from memory, the process of getting the passport would have taken too long.

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Where would you prefer to be is the question.
    Ideally I'd like to stay in HK for at least another year (and who knows after that....) The place has grown on me and is starting to feel like home at long last.

Yes very nice nail varnish, a bit slutty for me but I've heard it said, dont judge a book .....

I 100% sympathise with you.

It's all beyond the pale! You will have the bunny huggers all over you in droves. Go national make a stink.

Wot do you do bibbju? God knows the office needs a hampster loving transvestite.