Like Tree2Likes

Anyone's dog on frozen raw diet or freeze-dried food?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone's dog on frozen raw diet or freeze-dried food?

Hi there!

I will be relocating to Hong Kong this summer with my dog. I'm absolutely clueless in regards to the raw diet/freeze dried food scene in HK.

Are there any members here who are feeding their dogs raw diet? If so, do you buy it pre-packaged from a pet store? Or are you making it yourself?

Is anyone feeding their dogs freeze dried food (e.g., Stella & Chewy's, K9 Natural)? If so, how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance!

You can check out dried food prices here - http://www.epet.hk/dog-shop/dog-food/dry-dog-food

We feed ours dried with a bit of meat etc mixed in. I buy the meat from a frozen meat importer. You can get local (ie from china) cheap at wet markets etc.

I had my last dog on BARF for a while (he went off it, he was used to cooked meat)

I got mine from a store in DB, MyPet Shop, and I remember also seeing it at Whiskers n Paws.

My dog gets Grandma Lucy's freeze dried grain free food. It comes in a 3 pound bag which makes about 17 pounds of fresh food. Prices vary depending on flavor. Veggie and chicken being less expensive and rabbit and venison costing more. I'll double check prices for you next time I go, but it's around 600 HKD per bag. I buy from Little Princess pet shop off of Bonham Rd on the island.

One of my dogs is on a raw diet I make myself with imported meat, organs and bones (US, Denmark, Brazil, Aus/NZ) from the butcher. You have to be very careful here with any meat from China - avoid at all costs, even though it's obviously much cheaper than anything imported.

My other dog is on partly homemade raw and partly K9 Natural frozen raw and/or Ziwipeak from NZ which is air-dried raw. K9 Natural is pretty expensive at $140-150 a 1kg bag and Ziwipeak is even more expensive at around $1200 for a 5 kg bag. Both are very high quality but go a long way.

The only other raw food I've seen here is BARF. I haven't seen Stella & Chewy in HK.

You won't find much of a raw food scene here - vets are dead set against it but that's because they make massive commissions from selling their prescription crappy doom nuggets. Some vets are more enlightened than others but there aren't many. PM me when you get here - I'm always interested to hook up with other raw feeders in HK as we don't number many!

chungchungalice likes this.

I was off on my prices. Today I bought a bag of lamb flavored food and it cost 495. They were out of chicken but it is closer to 400 per bag, maybe 395.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    You can check out dried food prices here - http://www.epet.hk/dog-shop/dog-food/dry-dog-food

We feed ours dried with a bit of meat etc mixed in. I buy the meat from a frozen meat importer. You can get local (ie from china) cheap at wet markets etc.
    Hi Kimwy66! Thanks for your reply! The link is a great resource and they sell lots of high quality dog foods! When I meant freeze dried, I meant raw food in dehydrated form, haha! Sorry for the confusion. Are you mixing the meat, cooked or raw, with the kibble? If it's raw, I would suggest you to probably cook it first. The reason being is that raw food and kibble shouldn't be mixed together because raw and cooked (kibble) foods are digested at different rates. Raw food is digested faster, meaning any cooked (including kibble) will sit in the gut for longer. Potential upset stomach and indigestion problems

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I had my last dog on BARF for a while (he went off it, he was used to cooked meat)

I got mine from a store in DB, MyPet Shop, and I remember also seeing it at Whiskers n Paws.
    Hi Fiona! Thanks for the list of pet stores! Whiskers n Paws has a great selection! They even have the Himalayan cheese sticks! Its got this pungent odour, but dogs LOVE it!

Quote Originally Posted by DeannaX:
    I was off on my prices. Today I bought a bag of lamb flavored food and it cost 495. They were out of chicken but it is closer to 400 per bag, maybe 395.
    Hi Deanna! Thanks for doubling checking the prices - that's so nice of you! I've never heard of Grandma Lucy's before, but after checking out the website, it's a high quality food! Your dog is lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by bugak:
    One of my dogs is on a raw diet I make myself with imported meat, organs and bones (US, Denmark, Brazil, Aus/NZ) from the butcher. You have to be very careful here with any meat from China - avoid at all costs, even though it's obviously much cheaper than anything imported.

My other dog is on partly homemade raw and partly K9 Natural frozen raw and/or Ziwipeak from NZ which is air-dried raw. K9 Natural is pretty expensive at $140-150 a 1kg bag and Ziwipeak is even more expensive at around $1200 for a 5 kg bag. Both are very high quality but go a long way.

The only other raw food I've seen here is BARF. I haven't seen Stella & Chewy in HK.

You won't find much of a raw food scene here - vets are dead set against it but that's because they make massive commissions from selling their prescription crappy doom nuggets. Some vets are more enlightened than others but there aren't many. PM me when you get here - I'm always interested to hook up with other raw feeders in HK as we don't number many!
    Hi Bugak! Nice to meet you! Ugh, tell me about vets and their "prescription dog food" crap. I had to take my dog to the ER once for a bad case of diarrhea (she was pooping out her intestinal lining - yikes!), and the vet tried to sell me this junk-laden wet food. The first couple of products were by-product and meal - I was horrified. I just took my regular vet's advice, which is a bland diet consisting of poached ground beef and rice for a couple of days.

Wow, your doggies are so lucky - they're spoiled with nothing but the best! To be honest, I'm not exactly sure whether I'm going to go with raw or freeze dried. I might end up doing a mix of both, like you! On K9 Natural's website, they actually suggest a mix of raw meaty bones and the freeze dried food, so I'm thinking of maybe feeding raw meaty bones (e.g., chicken wings, elk neck) in the morning and the freeze dried food at night.

In regards to Stella & Chewy's products, I kinda guessed it would be a long shot to get it in HK. It's already hard enough to find it here in Vancouver. Stella & Chewy's uses protein that is antibiotic and hormone free, raised cage free and grass fed. It's the same high quality ingredients that you will also find in K9 Natural. But what makes Stella & Chewy's special is that they are the only company to use high pressure to kill off the viruses and bacteria on the food. That means their food is pasteurized without heat or irradiation, thus preserving all of its nutrients! This is a great option for pregnant women or for families who are scared of their dog eating raw food and then licking their children and possibly getting them sick. (You can check them out here: http://www.stellaandchewys.com/safety.php) It's a great brand and I love their products, but it's too bad that it's so expensive!

And thanks for the invitation, I'll definitely PM when I settle in Hong Kong!

reputable frozen meat shop called shing hing on gage street central

Quote Originally Posted by kvw21:
    Hi there!

I will be relocating to Hong Kong this summer with my dog. I'm absolutely clueless in regards to the raw diet/freeze dried food scene in HK.

Are there any members here who are feeding their dogs raw diet? If so, do you buy it pre-packaged from a pet store? Or are you making it yourself?

Is anyone feeding their dogs freeze dried food (e.g., Stella & Chewy's, K9 Natural)? If so, how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance!
    i fed my cats with raw meat diet for 2 months now. i bought my meat from this little shop in the wet market on gage street called shing hing (tel: 2543-0729). i was told by a friend that the meat quality is similar to citisuper which is a high end supermarket chain in hk. hope this is helpful.

I'm feeding my dogs prey model raw. I get the meat at the frozen meat shop behind Steamers in Sai Kung.
    "Sun Fa Frozen Meat Co"
    Be careful when buying from wet markets. All the meat sold is from China unless specifically stated otherwise.

Last edited by mrgoodkat; 24-08-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I'm feeding my dogs prey model raw. I get the meat at the frozen meat shop behind Steamers in Sai Kung.
    "Sun Fa Frozen Meat Co"
    Be careful when buying from wet markets. All the meat sold is from China unless specifically stated otherwise.
    Because the meat eaten by the majority of the Hong Kong population is clearly not good enough for a dog.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Hurtmesome likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast