Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia
  • 2 Post By scrambler
  • 5 Post By Elegiaque

Saw a baby boar, who to call - what to do

Closed Thread

Just saw a baby boar - Who to call - What to do

Sorry, not really pet-related but just as cute - and sad.

Just saw a baby boar tonight in the high grass close to the MTR station (grassy area between the MTR building and the sidewalk, with a high metal fence in between). Not a pig nor a wild pig, definitely a super cute boar who was sniffing around for some food.

Very small, and there could be a second one but it was dark so I'm not sure - I do believe I saw another one at the back. No sign of mommy I didn't want to attract too much attention as most people didn't seem to notice it, I thought it was better this way.

Is there anyone I can/should call, or anything I can do? At one point it will get out (the fence has spots where it could easily sneak out) and run in the street and get run over. Or somebody with a small brain will say "OMG A BOAR IT WILL KILL ME AND MY BELOVED DAUGHTER, WE GOTTA INJECT IT".

Any farm or similar organisation who could take care of it? SPCA no thanks, I'd rather call a butcher from the fresh market.

Thanks

Last edited by Castlevania; 13-10-2014 at 10:36 PM.

what area. AFCD if they catch it will take it to Kadoorie farm I think or release it back into the wild in a different area.

I see some large boars looking for food behind my house literally 10 Meters from me, well over 100lbs. I shine my flashlight at them, they look at me with the WTF do you want stare and then just move on nice and slowly.

Cho-man likes this.

I agree with wtbhotia, AFCD would be one to call.

Telephone:
    https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/cont...omplaints.html

Email to them:
    https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/coun...ou_con_con.asp

Hong Kong use to have big cats like tiger and leopards to keep the wild boar population in check. But since those large predators are long gone, the AFCD relies on boar hunting parties to cull a certain number of boars each year to control the population. Personally, I much rather prefer the natural large predator routine, but that will never work for Hong Kong, given the danger and hysteria involved with reintroducing a mega fauna back into the city.

Last edited by Cho-man; 13-10-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Yeah I was asking because I am really not sure SPCA or AFCD will handle them properly, heard some people tell me they will just kill them. In which case I'd rather leave them where they are.

It's a baby and the place is just concrete, I think it got lost. It's close to Shatin.

I'm not calling them so some small-cock hunters can have fun killing it. much prefer leaving it there (yes I know somebody else will eventually call anyway)

Last edited by Castlevania; 13-10-2014 at 11:08 PM.

OP, here is the AFCD webpage on wild boars, should be useful for you:

https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/cons...u_nui_pig.html

Wild boars are one of the most common wild mammals in HK, so shooting your particular pig dead would not have a detrimental impact on the population. If you think that is cruel, you can leave it be and forget about it. And since you can't control whether your neighbours will call the AFCD, not much point worrying about the well being of the pig either. If it comforts you in any degree, rest assured the wild pig population is not under threat in HK.

Last edited by Cho-man; 13-10-2014 at 11:22 PM.

i met one twice as big as u WTB in the woods. bloody hell! those things can move... we both scared the crap out of each other.. think it was my motorbike = cos it whooshed off!!

Cho-man and wtbhotia like this.

All right -- here I go again -- the SPCA WILL NOT just kill animals! They work very hard to do the opposite and help give animals a chance to live (and to live well!).

My opinion is that you should let wild animals just be wild animals. Before the AFCD would even get there, the boar will probably have sorted itself out and gone back to its life. And as other posters mention, there is an unnatural balance of the population anyway. The SPCA when they receive wild (injured) animals, they refer them to the on-call Kadoorie vets. So I believe the SPCA, like the AFCD, would simply send the animal along to Kadoorie if it needs to be caught and cannot live in the wild due to injury (I imagine the SPCA would just tell you to call the AFCD).

Anyway, it really upsets me when people make such blanket comments about the SPCA, because I've only seen really remarkable work from them. I've only seen them doing things to help and give chances to poor animals, and they will continue to do so for as long as necessary. As I type this I have two lovely foster kittens from the SPCA bouncing around me. I've had kittens crusted in dead fleas, pooing worms, with ringworm fungus, ear mites, and it's the SPCA that foots their vet bills, medicine, food, and litter and arranges a foster home (and then permanent home) for them until they become healthy kittens that can have a good, full life. ...... and yet you complain about them?

Cho-man, bibbju, hongkong7 and 2 others like this.

Yesterday i saw a mother sow and 4 young ones running through the grassy fields at golf ball driving range near Ma On Shan. Lovely to see, and they looked good and healthy. Much leaner than farm hogs who seem more like western couch potatoes, fat without fit.

totally think human intervention with them is not good - I bet that little hog knew exactly what he was doin - all those lovely ppl dropping tasty snacks every where!

I see them all the time - the little ones are sooo cute! but daddy hog looked a bit stern!

there are loads of them in clear wter bay! I had a few run across the road in front of me on midnight beach runs.. he was on his way to see WTB and had jus stopped for a tasty snack at the lap sap fong!

a rarer site would be the cute little dear that run thru the woods.. they are very shy