Like Tree51Likes

Which are the best food brands for a dog and where to buy in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    My mrs does sometimes but she uses them to feed some of the village dogs that she likes. Just feeding canned dog food everyday can be quite expensive.

The canned dog food we buy for our huskies cost $35 each and we only use a quarter of the can each time to mix with the dry dog food, add some flavour
    Aha. I had assumed (clearly wrongly!) that the supermarket cans were "cheap". If that's not the case I can fully understand folk looking for an alternative.

Look up Rodney Habib (I think that's how his surname is spelt), he does some brilliant write ups about dog food, esp home made with herbs and spices. I've emailed him a few times and I've started looking into adding coconut oil and kefir into my dog's food.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    InesG, telling everyone what breed your dog is does really help as well

I have 3 huskies and did also have a FAT miniature Schnauzer (he passed away last year), My huskies go through 30lbs of dog food at least a month, and because my mrs spoils them with many treats they get more and more fussy so just dry dog food alone they wont touch unless I starve them which I wont, we mix the dry dog food with canned dog food , 2-3 times a week we boil meat with bone and cut it into pieces to mix with the dry dog food.

have a look at this website 寵物用品速遞, 狗糧、貓糧盡在APE - 買滿$100 可享免費寵物速遞服務 there area gazillion brands to choose from. Good luck finding the right one for your dog
    I LOVE huskies (and other northern spitz breeds like malamutes, samoyeds, norwegian elkhounds etc), but isn't HK a little on the warm side for them? I mean, right now its fine, but between May and September, its gonna be quite unpleasant for them in the heat and humidity.

Anyway, I'm not saying you shouldn't own huskies here, but just curious to know how you accomodate those northern breeds when the weather gets hot and sticky.
    wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    I LOVE huskies (and other northern spitz breeds like malamutes, samoyeds, norwegian elkhounds etc), but isn't HK a little on the warm side for them? I mean, right now its fine, but between May and September, its gonna be quite unpleasant for them in the heat and humidity.
    Well it really depends on the owner of such breeds, how much common sense do they have and how much effort/money they willing to pay to keep such breeds, I never paid 1$$ for my dogs, all are adopted from ppl who thought huskies are great pets until they start growing in size and wont fit in their less than 500sqft city apartments LOL.

I moved to the villages just for my huskies, i have a fenced off garden, during summer at least 1 ac is running through out the day, the dogs get walked early in the morning and late in the evening, during the day they are allowed to go in an out of the house to the garden where they do sunbathe until they get too hot and then wander back into the house to cool down, these big dogs sleep at least 18 hours of the day, I wish i could do that. At least once every month or once every two months we go to the doggy swimming pools in Shueng shui where they can run around swim in the pools. its a lot of hard work but as long as they are having fun its worth it.

I do see some maids walking large breed dogs that have heavy coats during middle of the day in summer, those owners are so daft, people who go hiking in summer with large dogs and dont take enough water, they should be charged with animal cruelty, last year a few dogs died if I remember correctly from the news.
    Cwbguy and Cho-man like this.

I have found that the natural, organic, non commercial food is better for the well being of my pets than the commercial supermarket stuff . It all works out same same in price anyway. Our beagle ate the commercial stuff, as did our first cat, but affected both in different ways. When we adopted our then obese cat five years ago, he was brought up on this supermarket purina stuff. His coat and poo stunk, could not lose the weight, so I did some research and found that the Royal canin obesity management does not work as it only increases the appetite. Hills was worse. Our cat was always hungry and thirsty on it. So now, we give him Almo Nature cans and Avoderm Dry food. Orijen and Organix is also very good. As a result, kitty's weight is normal and the rest is good health. Even the stray cats that come over for a daily feed love the stuff, and it is no more expensive than the regular food found at PnS. I get his food from a shop in Sham Shui Po on Wong Chuk st. They are cheaper than Whiskers n Paws and the pet supplies place in Mui Wo. This shop also stocks Orijen, Organix and other similar brands in both large and small packets.

Last edited by Natfixit; 17-01-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    Cho-man and irisboards like this.

If one must go down the supermarket route, stay away from Pedigree. It wasn't that long ago that there was a local news report on some dog food sold in HK that contained elements that can cause cancer in dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

I am currently feeding my two 10 lb dogs a food called Zeal from New Zealand. Risotto Lamb I think. It sounds better than my daily meal. Another plus for this food is that it is softer. One of our dogs is older and it makes it a lot easier for him.

Regarding can food, don't feed it for a normal diet every day, since it's soft, and their teeth don't get worked as much. Also, check the ingredients. You'd be surprised what's in there.

Agree on avoiding the supermarket stuff. Usually it's very low quality. You'll notice the "output" is voluminous and not as good as when you feed them higher quality stuff. That said, for larger dogs it can get quite expensive.

@Natfixit we adopted a beagle from a rescue and they gave her Hills Science Diet and we just continued. She does drink a lot of water and we take out for a wee 4x day and we get an occasional accident at home as well. Didn't occur to me that the kibble is making her thirsty. What did you switch to?

Last edited by shri; 12-03-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    @Natfixit we adopted a beagle from a rescue and they gave her Hills Science Diet and we just continued. She does drink a lot of water and we take out for a wee 4x day and we get an occasional accident at home as well. Didn't occur to me that the kibble is making her thirsty. What did you switch to?
    We never fed our beagle Hills. A mix of dry and wet with plenty of water. However, Hills DOES make our cat drink more.

Best to change to Origen or Organix, or a natural organic food. They are less salty, less additives. Avoderm also is good, plus amother NZ brand ( forget the name.) Given that beagles will eat till they are sick, best to avoid Hills, Royal Canin or any brand as such that coats their food pellets with an appetite enhancer, i.e. Scent. Avoid commercial stuff. Even my mum now believes that it gave our beagle cancer.

For accidents, train him/ her to use indoor doggie pads, if you can. It may help clean up.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 12-03-2015 at 10:39 PM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:

Best to change to Origen or Organix, or a natural organic food. They are less salty, less additives.
    I will second, again, ORIGEN. It is human grade food with very few nasties. The beef one is just like biltong, and yes, I have tried it, and liked it. You won't be able to same the same about Hills or Pedigree.
    shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast