Like Tree51Likes

Which are the best food brands for a dog and where to buy in HK?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

we like the honest kitchen. dehydrated natural food.
    there is also another food that makes dog attack ignorant parents genitals. let me see if i can find the name of this food again.

For those interested you can check this
    Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
    Don't have to buy the 5 star or whatever (though I tend to), but you can learn what to look for when buying dog foods.

@Natfixit and @Cwbguy - going to start the switch to Origen today. I suspect the hills food is also amplifying her odor.

Saw this on PetMD.

Needless to say after hundreds of dollars of testing and another bag of food (which is not cheap)it turns out that Hills has changed their formula. Oops did not tell the vet. I found out by researching. Also I found out that one of the ingredients is "sawdust". really!!! I am so disappointed. Changed dog food and my guy is doing great! He doesn't even smell like he use to.

Ugh .. HKDR needs to find a new food sponsor! Given how particular they're about people who adopt their dogs, I'd have thought they'd be as particular about making food recommendations and we just went with the standard reco they gave us .. Hills.
    Elegiaque likes this.

I find the best deal for Origen is Whiskers N Paws

They will deliver 13 kg for $815, and you can get your Frontline at the same time.

(website is a bit shite, but the service is good)

Last edited by Cwbguy; 13-03-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    dumbdonkey likes this.

as with all organizations that depends on public funding, they bark the bark but doesnt always paw the paw.

@Cwbguy - do you recommend the grain free or the regular adult formula for Origen?

Thanks for the WnP recommendation, don't usually check there as they tend to be a bit more expensive than apepet who deliver on the same day to Pok Fu Lam.
    @dumbdonkey - I agree, but never mind. I could write a few pages worth of pointers for them .. but not worth the time and energy. We're happy with the rescue we got from them - end of story.

dumbdonkey likes this.

I have the regular.

I know there are all sorts of arguments for and against grain, but all four of my dogs have been very happy with regular.

Just looked at the APE site and Origen there is way more expensive than WNP. $1,xxx+ for 13 kg.

Can really recommend the SPCA for grooming. They do a great job for $378 compared to some quotes from boutiques around here looking for up to $900 a dog.

Last edited by Cwbguy; 13-03-2015 at 10:51 AM.

@shri, in the end, your decision will be based on cost and the availability of the food. all dogs love to eat. train them well and do not spoil them and they'll eat anything. my believe is always treat a dog as dog and not as a human. i buy raw meat and raw bones whenever possible and supplement them with dry food. they also get a good portion of human food from the kids plates.

my mother-in-law fed her dogs almost exclusively on human food. the dog lived happy and well for 15 years.

shri and HK_Katherine like this.

It is probably based more on availability in our case. Our diet has a significant vegetarian component - which I don't think would work for the dog.

I'll go with cwbguy's recommendation for Orijen, supplemented with what I've read on the dogfood reviews websites / consumer affairs etc.

orijen is great. we did their fish food for while. i still love the dehydrated stuff. especially in winter where we use warm water.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast