Like Tree24Likes

Where can I find/buy a Hachi pup?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How much do I need to expect to pay if I do end up adopting a dog from somewhere like the SPCA?

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    Akita grow a bit big. A Shiba Inu is better for HK living conditions .
    Shiba Inu's are beautiful. Just read about them and their personality seems suited as well. Going to search now.

Quote Originally Posted by ProToolz:
    I'm not going to pay more than 2,000 or so.

I'm not dead-set on having an Akita, but it's much preferred. The personality is perfect for myself and partner.

I'm very open to suggestions though. The only set requirement is that it be a male, and not too big.
    Firstly is that US$2,000 or HK$2,000? Either way it won't buy you an Akita.

I saw this one last week.Such a beautiful dog I took a pic. There was nothing in the shop for less than HK$7/8,000.

$2,000 is roughly what you can pay the charities for a dog that covers all vaccinations/medical bills, but you need check that yourself.
    wtbhotia and Cho-man like this.

How much do I need to expect to pay if I do end up adopting a dog from somewhere like the SPCA?
    Between 1-2K HKD.

Be patient and visit often. We picked up a Pug and another rare breed from SPCA. Akita's are not that rare in Hong Kong - if you keep checking, I'm sure one will turn up sooner than later.

I'm guessing, with Valentines around the corner, one or two will pop up in the second half of February.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

breed no bread :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Firstly is that US$2,000 or HK$2,000? Either way it won't buy you an Akita.

I saw this one last week.Such a beautiful dog I took a pic. There was nothing in the shop for less than HK$7/8,000.

$2,000 is roughly what you can pay the charities for a dog that covers all vaccinations/medical bills, but you need check that yourself.
    28 friggen thousand for a DOG Holy friggen Moly. I was going to recommend that ProToolz go to maybe Peace Avenue in Mong Kok with a wad of cash and a photo of the dog breed (easier for communtion) with the pet shops and have a look around there, I was thinking maybe 5-8K might get him one but 28K??? HOLY FRIGGEN MOLY
    Cwbguy likes this.

Woah, cannot currently afford more than a few thousand with my budget. I'm going to have to be patient and hope one pops up lol. Will ask to be put on lists.

Im more interested in the Shiba Inu now lol

We just adopted a cute bagle (beagle) from HKDR and the fee was $1500.

huja likes this.

I'm going to have to be patient and hope one pops up lol. Will ask to be put on lists.
    Basil is gone but this shows you that they do turn up :
    http://www.hongkongdogrescue.com/blog/?p=15116
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 29-01-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Shiba Inu's are beautiful. Just read about them and their personality seems suited as well. Going to search now.
    Shibas are indeed beautiful, my brother has one. But they can also be quite a handful to manage. They have a very strong independent and stubborn nature. And potentially dog aggressive if not well socialized. Not recommended for first time dog owners.

As for Akitas, there is also the question of which type of Akitas you wanted. With the exception of the American Kennel Club and the Canadian Kennel Club, all other major dog fancier organizations recognize two separate breed of Akitas.

The American Akita is the larger and heavier boned of the two types. They also commonly have a black mask (black coloured fur on their face). Some say they may also be potentially more aggressive than the Japanese variety, but that is debatable.

The Japanese Akita is a little bit smaller but has a noticeably lighter frame. They have a more fox-like head and do not have black masks, but often have a red and white colouring similar to the Shiba. In fact, the red and white coloured Akitas resemble a large version of the Shiba.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 29-01-2015 at 03:39 PM.